ECZ-9425-B - choke tube question

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic152353.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By MattsY - 4 Years Ago
Last stupid question of the day.....not! Does this need to be plugged in some way, shape or form?http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c6136903-19c4-4bcb-a1a2-6a5b.jpg
By DryLakesRacer - 4 Years Ago
If your not going to use the tube for your carb choke heat and it doesn’t leak exhaust gasses it can remain open in my opinion. If I were to permanently close it I would do it with tapped plugs which may or may not change its value to some as the tubes are available and replaceable.
By MattsY - 4 Years Ago
I'm not using it for anything, I have throttle body injection. I have no clue if it leaks or not. I got the manifold from Ebay. It was in very good shape, so who knows. Thanks for your help!
By paul2748 - 4 Years Ago
I would suggest checking out the heat tube and if bad replace it, leaving the intake unmodified
By DryLakesRacer - 4 Years Ago
When you start your engine you will hear it if it leaks. Your will hear an exhaust tick; if not it will be quiet. It is not in an area of the intake for running the engine. It only goes through the exhaust heat passage for the manifold for better combustion.
I do not know if a throttle body needs heat. If it is not necessary you may want to blank the crossover ports of the intake gaskets. At least use the truck ones where it is restricted.
By PF Arcand - 4 Years Ago
It looks as though the end of the heat tube has been broken off.. Anyway, if the inner tube is corroded out, you will have an exhaust leak unless it has both ends plugged in some way.  One end of that tube was designed to allowed a very small amount of air to enter the tube to be heated & up to an original choke setup on the other side. As noted, you may not need that heat with your setup. ??. If so you can plug both ends if the tube is corroded out. Or as noted, drive out the broken tube & replace it if it is needed. I believe those tubes may be available thru T. Bird parts suppliers in the U.S.. I  could not find one when checking with other parts outfits, some time back..       
By Ted - 4 Years Ago
If not replacing the tube that goes through the exhaust passage of the intake manifold, then you will need to plug both sides of the manifold where that tube exits.  Tapping those holes and installing either bolts or set screws will suffice in plugging both holes so that they do not leak exhaust.
By 56_Fairlane - 4 Years Ago
The time to do it would be with the manifold removed. It is super difficult to plug the one on the driver's side if the manifold is on the engine.
By MattsY - 4 Years Ago
Thanks guys! Hopefully it doesn't leak. I put a set screw on the passenger side, but I didn't realize the d/s was open too. I really wasn't sure what that little "umbrella" thing was. Lol! Out of curiosity, will the "Best" intake gaskets need to to replaced if I were to remove the manifold after having been torqued down?
By 56_Fairlane - 4 Years Ago
You can gently remove the "umbrella" without ruining it . You may want to save it if you ever decide too go back to the heat tube or maybe someone else needs one. Those caps are kind of hard to find. The gasket may be toast if you've run the engine enough times. I didn't have that many miles on mine when I pulled the manifold off and the gaskets were already stuck in some places.
By Ted - 4 Years Ago
MattsY (6/28/2020)
Thanks guys! Hopefully it doesn't leak. I put a set screw on the passenger side, but I didn't realize the d/s was open too. I really wasn't sure what that little "umbrella" thing was. Lol! Out of curiosity, will the "Best" intake gaskets need to to replaced if I were to remove the manifold after having been torqued down?

It would be prudent to have another set of intake gaskets handy if pulling the intake manifold again.  If the installed gaskets had any kind of gasket sealer on them, the gaskets will likely not be reusable and will need to be replaced.  If put on dry, the gaskets may or may not come back off cleanly.

The umbrella being referred to is the ‘Automatic Choke Air Deflector Mushroom’ and these are available from Macs Auto Parts as well as other vendors.  Keep in mind that if the choke air tube going through the intake manifold is damaged or compromised in any way, there will be an exhaust leak at either one of both sides of the intake manifold unless those ports are blocked.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/17714222-2266-40d0-aa2b-ae22.jpg
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_late/automatic-choke-air-intake-deflector-mushroom-292-v8-ford.html
By cokefirst - 4 Years Ago
Just my 2 cents on this thread.  I have several Y-block engines and anytime I remove the intake manifold from one that any age, I replace that tube.  I found that most will last for decades before leaking.  If you are ever going back to stock, you can put the tube in and forget it.  The replacement of the tube is a 5 minute job if the intake is off the engine and you can always go back to a stock system.  If you tap and thread this area with plugs, you now have likely ruined the intake for any stock use.