Profile Picture

ECZ-9425-B - choke tube question

Posted By MattsY 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
MattsY (6/28/2020)
Thanks guys! Hopefully it doesn't leak. I put a set screw on the passenger side, but I didn't realize the d/s was open too. I really wasn't sure what that little "umbrella" thing was. Lol! Out of curiosity, will the "Best" intake gaskets need to to replaced if I were to remove the manifold after having been torqued down?

It would be prudent to have another set of intake gaskets handy if pulling the intake manifold again.  If the installed gaskets had any kind of gasket sealer on them, the gaskets will likely not be reusable and will need to be replaced.  If put on dry, the gaskets may or may not come back off cleanly.

The umbrella being referred to is the ‘Automatic Choke Air Deflector Mushroom’ and these are available from Macs Auto Parts as well as other vendors.  Keep in mind that if the choke air tube going through the intake manifold is damaged or compromised in any way, there will be an exhaust leak at either one of both sides of the intake manifold unless those ports are blocked.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/17714222-2266-40d0-aa2b-ae22.jpg
https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mercury_late/automatic-choke-air-intake-deflector-mushroom-292-v8-ford.html

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

cokefirst
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)Supercharged (298 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Just my 2 cents on this thread.  I have several Y-block engines and anytime I remove the intake manifold from one that any age, I replace that tube.  I found that most will last for decades before leaking.  If you are ever going back to stock, you can put the tube in and forget it.  The replacement of the tube is a 5 minute job if the intake is off the engine and you can always go back to a stock system.  If you tap and thread this area with plugs, you now have likely ruined the intake for any stock use.  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter