Profile Picture

Oil dipstick

Posted By MattsY 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I'm pretty sure I messed up and I'd like you guys to confirm it for me. Lol! Basically, my son bought a 1954 Ford Crestline that someone replaced the 234 Y with a 292 Y, industrial engine from a generator. I, knowing nothing about Y's, have just rebuilt the engine and realized, at this late stage in the game, I have a front sump oil pan, but the dipstick in the block is/was used and the timing cover hole is plugged. Is there any way to get a reasonably accurate oil level with the dipstick located where it is, or do I have to pull the pan off and move it to the timing cover?
Oh yeah, how many quarts in the stock, front sump pan? Converted to a spin on filter if it matters. Thanks!
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
5 in the pan 1 in the filter. Do you have a dip stick now? My 292 front sump goes into the block about 1/2” behind the chain cover assembly. I believe tubes and sticks are available. For a different brand engine I bought a universal and marked the stick after I put in the proper amount of oil for the pan. I had to do a little work on the end of the tube and sealed it with #2 Permatex but it doesn’t leak. Others here I’m sure will chime in.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
MattsY
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Awesome, thank you! I do not have a dipstick now, but I'll try a new tube and modify a stick.
charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
You can always fill it with oil and check.  An oil pressure gauge will keep you out of trouble if you cannot get a reading.

I did the opposite, rear sump, with a front sump dipstick.  The dipstick had to be trimmed and just the tip of the dipstick would have oil on it when full.  So it was not very useful.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter