Oil dipstick

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic152351.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By MattsY - 4 Years Ago
I'm pretty sure I messed up and I'd like you guys to confirm it for me. Lol! Basically, my son bought a 1954 Ford Crestline that someone replaced the 234 Y with a 292 Y, industrial engine from a generator. I, knowing nothing about Y's, have just rebuilt the engine and realized, at this late stage in the game, I have a front sump oil pan, but the dipstick in the block is/was used and the timing cover hole is plugged. Is there any way to get a reasonably accurate oil level with the dipstick located where it is, or do I have to pull the pan off and move it to the timing cover?
Oh yeah, how many quarts in the stock, front sump pan? Converted to a spin on filter if it matters. Thanks!
By DryLakesRacer - 4 Years Ago
5 in the pan 1 in the filter. Do you have a dip stick now? My 292 front sump goes into the block about 1/2” behind the chain cover assembly. I believe tubes and sticks are available. For a different brand engine I bought a universal and marked the stick after I put in the proper amount of oil for the pan. I had to do a little work on the end of the tube and sealed it with #2 Permatex but it doesn’t leak. Others here I’m sure will chime in.
By MattsY - 4 Years Ago
Awesome, thank you! I do not have a dipstick now, but I'll try a new tube and modify a stick.
By charliemccraney - 4 Years Ago
You can always fill it with oil and check.  An oil pressure gauge will keep you out of trouble if you cannot get a reading.

I did the opposite, rear sump, with a front sump dipstick.  The dipstick had to be trimmed and just the tip of the dipstick would have oil on it when full.  So it was not very useful.