Profile Picture

4bbl intake modification question

Posted By dennis22 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi everyone,

I’ve been doing a bit of reading about different intake performance and have decided to modify my B intake to a dual plane.

My questions are-

1- should I open up the 4 holes radius larger to suit the spacer I have? (See below photo with marker)

2- should I machine the top surface flat or leave the factory depression?

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
For normal street driving, I’ll suggest that you go with a four hole carb spacer as low end torque is improved using those rather than an open style carburetor spacer.  The best bang for the buck for intake modifications comes from making the carb openings in the manifold so it has two slots rather than four holes.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c72abe3d-2d58-42ba-ab57-db0a.jpg 

Of particular interest would be this article on carb spacer testing.
http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2012/09/29/carburetor-spacer-testing/

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 9 minutes ago
This modification also allows the use of a phenolic spacer to keep the carburetor cooler and helps prevent fuel percolation.  Joe-JDC

JDC
dennis22
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)Supercharged (412 reputation)

Thanks Ted and Joe.
In this instance I’ll go for the 4 bbl spacer, but hypothetically if I were to go for the dual plane modification on the manifold, would I machine the surface flat an open the holes up slightly?

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The manifold is already dual plane.  Modifying it as Ted shows makes it work better and accommodate larger, modern carbs while maintaining dual plane functionality.

You can machine it flat.  Others have used epoxy to fill in the valley in order to make it flat.  The holes should be opened up to match the carburetor, at the very least.

Lawrenceville, GA
dennis22
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I realize it already a dual plane manifold.
Ok so I just want to clarify, please correct me if I’m wrong- machine the 2 slots in the manifold but use a 4 hole spacer to retain the low end torque, correct?

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
The spacer should be 4 hole or divided (2 ovals) in order to maintain the dual plane functionality.

Here are some examples.  The one in the middle is a hybrid of the two, two ovals on bottom, 4 hole on top.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/49b9ed11-04d5-464d-aa5e-d330.jpg

Lawrenceville, GA
dennis22
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Nice one, thanks. I have ordered a 2inch 4hole spacer and will get the manifold machined.
Thanks Everyone for the advice, much appreciated!

Thanks, Dennis.

56 F100 - 272 Y Block
NSW, Australia.

Talkwrench
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

I assume you have a manual trans?  going too big on the spacer can bugger up the linkages. From memory I just put a 4 hole 1" spacer straight on  [modified for PCV] mines an Auto.  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
1946international
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Great info here, I think I'll try milling out the two slots. Thanks for the info.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter