Profile Picture

Y-block Supplemental Oil Routing to Rocker Arms

Posted By Jack Groat 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Found this video on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB_Q9qpvnL0

Keith Dorton (A name I never heard of until the video) shows how he made a tubing bypass to more directly get oil to the rocker arms plus squirting oil on the lifters and cam lobes.  So I have two questions:

1)  Has anyone else done this.
2) Does anybody sell a kit.  Mostly tubes and fittings I can buy but that center part in the valley, not so sure.

Thanks guys 
Jack Groat
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)Supercharged (416 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I just called Keith Dorton 704-786-0187 and talked to him directly.  He said they are in the process of coming up with a kit to sell and it should be ready in a few weeks.  That is soon enough for me since 
I have been working on this build for several years. 

By the way, I just ordered my aluminum heads from Mummert who told me his he just finished his first set of the second wave of aluminum heads and I am getting the first set.  I guess calling him twice a day for a year helped...
Daniel Jessup
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I wondered how long it would be before someone posted a link to that video. If you read through the comments on the YouTube page you would recognize several of the guys here on the forum that gave negative reviews of the work that was done to that engine and how it was presented. The work concerning oil supply was highly unnecessary and a waste of time, money, and effort. When the well-known, proven, and experienced Y block builders chime in I believe you will discover that this modification is not needed. Y blocks with 3 times the horsepower that this build is making exist and lubricate just fine. I personally know of no kit to make this modification - that should tell you something right here concerning the law of supply and demand. There is also good reason why you have never heard the name "Keith Dorton" and "Y Block" in the same sentence.

EDIT: you posted again before my original post. No problem - looks like he is going to sell a kit. To each their own I guess. Tongue

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Cliff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
I agree with Daniel
charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 35 minutes ago
Gong by the two Y blocks he has built, Keith Dorton is a person who should not build Y-Blocks.  The oiling "mod" is just one of many bad or unnecessary pieces of information in that video.

What's sad, is if they're coming up with a kit, then they have enough perceived demand to justify it.  What happens when a poor install or maintenance (hoses and even fittings don't last forever) of that kit results in an engine failure?  The Y block will be blamed, not the kit, which isn't even necessary, further cementing the oiling and Y performance myths.

Keith is a person who is capable of building great engines but he chooses not to build great Y blocks.  He could be developing good, useful items, instead of this, if he really wanted to.

Lawrenceville, GA
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Reminds me of the external oiling kit my Dad installed on the 1957 Ford Custom I drove in high school.   The rockers where worn so bad my girl friend said she could hear me coming to pick her up from two blocks away.  Wow

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Keith almost said it was not necessary but something that was done years ago on other NASCAR engines not Y-Blocks. I’ve run my Y with the rocker covers off and oil comes out both overflows after a time. I’d still like to see more oil but will not close them off. I have no idea if the center can bearing revision was done.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Here are links to past discussions on the YBF regarding Keith Dorton’s Y engine builds.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost134537.aspx
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost148596.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter