Profile Picture

Starter Solenoid Test

Posted By paul2748 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Solenoid off the car (spare).  How can a solenoid be tested?  Can I connected the battery side to a battery, use a jumper to the two small terminals and a test light to the starter side to see if power there?   I will ground it to the negative post of the battery.  This is a original type brown unit.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Gene Purser
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I would ground the mounting bracket and put 12v to the left (facing the solenoid) terminal. Then you should read full continuity between the two large posts. You will also see 12v on the right side terminal as it bypasses ignition resistance to give full battery voltage during starting.
Some solenoid work by having power to the battery post and grounding the small terminal, but I think they all have one small terminal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter