Profile Picture

Small exhaust leak has me stumped

Posted By 56_Fairlane 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I want to change to an electric choke on my 56 Fairlane with B manifold and Autolite 4100. The heat controlled choke works ok. There seems to be an exhaust leak somewhere in the either the heat tube, mushroom cap or the plumbing from the manifold to the carb. I've never been able to find the right fitting that goes from the manifold to the choke. It may be leaking there. I can't find the leak when it's idling or reving it up but I can sure hear it while driving. I've about given up on trying to keep it looking original and rather just have reliable functionality.
No one seems to list the cap origin other than "imported". I'll be damned if I will ever use chinese parts, especially something electric near a fuel source.

PS can someone please fix the title? Something went wrong typing. "Recommendation for good non-chinese electric choke caps for Autolite..."

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan 30K original miles
Cliff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Ford never made one, I don't remember if the aftermarket ever did, however you may check a Edelbrock AFB it may fit.
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
See if one of these fixes you up.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Fuel/793/47-1QFT/10002/-1
https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/45-258/10002/-1
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b3169c93-b7eb-44c8-bb6e-f276.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

56_Fairlane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Thanks for the tips, I''ll check those out.
Also thanks for fixing the title.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
56_Fairlane (6/6/2020)
I want to change to an electric choke on my 56 Fairlane with B manifold and Autolite 4100. The heat controlled choke works ok. There seems to be an exhaust leak somewhere in the either the heat tube, mushroom cap or the plumbing from the manifold to the carb. I've never been able to find the right fitting that goes from the manifold to the choke. It may be leaking there. I can't find the leak when it's idling or reving it up but I can sure hear it while driving. I've about given up on trying to keep it looking original and rather just have reliable functionality.
No one seems to list the cap origin other than "imported". I'll be damned if I will ever use chinese parts, especially something electric near a fuel source.

PS can someone please fix the title? Something went wrong typing. "Recommendation for good non-chinese electric choke caps for Autolite..."

If You can hear an Exhaust Leak when driving I suspect its not the Choke Setup. I had to resurface both Exhaust Manifold flanges to fix an Exhaust Leak on mine.  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
56_Fairlane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

One more thing, what works best to plug the heat holes in the manifold?

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
56_Fairlane (6/6/2020)
One more thing, what works best to plug the heat holes in the manifold?

I tapped the Holes and used I think 5/16  or 3/8 Bolts.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Don't know if this info will help but.. the exhaust leak may be the choke heat tube inside the crossover being corroded out, a fairly common problem with old 'B" intakes. I believe some of the T. Bird parts suppliers have that replacement heat tube. They may also have the heat tube to carb connection setup. The only hanger on that is the original tubes were coated with an Asbestus material which may not be available now?.  I couldn't find a replacement tube in Canada, when I replaced mine, (a place on e Bay offered to sell me a pk'g of 4) so I made and installed a new complete setup from small copper tubing & copper fitings. For insulation up to the carb I used cotton wrapping that was soaked in Borax to make it fire resistant. So far it seems to be working & holding up o.k.. Note; My carb is also an Autolite 4100, and my exhaust doesn't have a diverter valve as two large parts outfits had no listing for them now + my intake crossover has Truck gaskets, which partly obstruct crossover heat, so I set the choke to not close fully & it seems to work fine. Obviously, I don't drive the car is dead cold of winter..            

Paul
56_Fairlane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I had replaced the heat tube in the manifold but it still had that small exhaust leak as before. The manifold surfaces looked flat and didn't have any signs of exhaust soot when I removed it to replace the tube.
I can only figure exhaust is still leaking into the choke tubing since I saw some soot in the choke housing of the carb.
Either way I found a electric choke from a seller in Eugene OR for fairly cheap. I did have to flip the coil in it though since it turned in the opposite direction than my original. Now I just need to plug the heat orifices in the manifold and wire up the cap off the ignition switch with a fuse.

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"
56_Fairlane
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

oldcarmark (6/6/2020)
If You can hear an Exhaust Leak when driving I suspect its not the Choke Setup. I had to resurface both Exhaust Manifold flanges to fix an Exhaust Leak on mine.  

I replaced the heated choke with the electric one and plugged the two holes and still noticed the same exhaust leak. It looks like I'll need to find someone who can resurface the manifold. If not, I may just go back to the original A manifold and rebuild the teapot.
I guess I took it for granted that the manifold flanges were flat. In all my years of working on cars I've never had any manifold that had a warped flange. I've had cracked exhaust manifolds but never a warped intake. Is this common on B manifolds?

~DJ~ AKA "Bleach"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter