Profile Picture

Install 3 speed Hurst floor shiftier

Posted By Tim Quinn 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Does any one know where to buy a Hurst 3 speed shift kit for a 1956 Ford Fairlane w/Overdive?
Thanks in advance,
Tim
Hot 'n Humid , Florida 33706
blockhead2
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)Supercharged (83 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I used a 3 speed Hurst in my 55 Tbird decades ago.  Worked great.  I still have it somewhere if you are interested.

Bill A
wabateATverizon.net
Tim Quinn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Yes I'd be interested if it will bolt on to the overdrive tranny in my '56 Crown Victoria.
There is a solenoid on the side of the tranny that could be a problem. (I think)
Maybe someone out there will know.
Thanks for your reply,
Tim in Florida
miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I'm not going to be much help, all my experience is with Thunderbirds, and I expect the shifter location will be different in a Fairlane. That said, here's what I remember.

I had a Hurst Syncro Lok (?) in my 55 bird many years with a T-85 o/d. The local speed shop worked with me, and it used the short stick for a Corvette. I had to modify the brackets for the shifter location in a bird. Might have been a passenger car unit, but after 50+ years I don't remember. I also had a Hurst Mystery Shifter on a T 86 o/d in a 59 bird. Both worked fine, but both had to be altered (not many 59's around with stick shifts).

There's been some discussions on other sites about shifters for the o/d units, they're a little more difficult to find apparently. The shifter on my T-5 on the bird is very near if not on the original location, and is roughly 25" from the block-bellhousing to the shifter. Somebody might be able to give you a better measurement. Either way, you'll need to know where the shifter clears the seat, and some location back to see how a bird unit clears.

They're not rocket science, any unit will work if you've got a torch handy to make the modifications, bend the arms, etc.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
62bigwindow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
The overdrive shifter is different due to the solenoid. Finding a original one is rare and I dont think anyone is making new ones. I've been looking for one on Ebay for a couple years now.

Durham Missouri
Tim Quinn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Miker,
Thanks for the reply.
Let's see if any of the Y Blockers can come up with more info about
a Hurst 3 speed shifter working on a '56 Fairlane w/overdive.
Again thanks,
Tim Hot 'n Humid
Florida 33706
Joe-JDC
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Just make sure you don't turn the arms over when installing the shifter rods, the shift pattern will be backwards.  Made it easy to snatch second gear, though.  Ask me how I know?  LOL.  '56 Fairlane Victoria(1962-1966)  Joe-JDC

JDC
Daniel Jessup
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Tim,
If you have not visited my website, I encourage you to do so. There is way too much information (such as the exact shifter you are talking about here) covered in my blog posts. Here is a good place to begin:
https://www.hotrodreverend.com/post/2017/09/20/55-ford-restoration-blog-part-10
There are several other posts I make on the blog that specifically concern the installation, adjustments, parts, etc, etc.
And, the individual I bought the brackets from (which is really the most difficult to find for the OD transmissions) can be found at this link:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/4ever4d
yes, that is an eBay link, but that is the medium he uses to peddle parts - a very knowledgeable guy and he was a tremendous help to me after he sold me what I needed. Here is a current listing at a very good price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/52-65-FORD-3-SPEED-OVERDRIVE-HURST-SYNCRO-LOC-SHIFTER-MOUNTING-BRACKET/264743270494?hash=item3da3edb85e:g:0eAAAOSwTf1ezECg
I suggest you shoot him a message to find out what else he has in stock. Once you look over his items he has up for sale, you will come away with the idea that he knows Ford transmissions pretty well.
I am very happy with how things ended up I might add.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Tim Quinn
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Bless you Reverend, I really appreciate you taking time to supply me with this information.
Tim
Hot 'n Humid, Florida

62bigwindow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Do you have a T86 or T85? The bracket that Dan posted is for a T86 OD.

Durham Missouri

Reading This Topic

Site Meter