Profile Picture

Rex headers in a 56 F100

Posted By panel driver 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
Has anyone used the Rex headers in a 56 F100. Just wondering about clearance from the firewall on the left side. It looks from 
measurements it will clear my steering shaft. How good is the ceramic coating?  Thanks  

Located in Harford County Maryland 
2721955meteor
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
i used the right single manifold on the drivers side,this makes a nice curved pipe that mines oil filter and steering .pasenger side used  the tulip with centre exit 
panel driver
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Thanks for your idea, i was really looking for a header setup. 

charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The collector, right where the 4 tubes fit together will be about 4" diagonally, between tubes and the 2 1/2" flange will be considerably larger than the stock car manifolds.  Since stock manifolds don't work, unless you do what meteor said, these most likely will not either, because they are larger

There are lot's of options for truck headers, Reds, Sanderson, Patriot (which is rebranded by Speedway Motors, and others).

Lawrenceville, GA
panel driver
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the info.  My second choice was the reds headers. I will check with them for some measurements.  Thanks

capelo
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)Supercharged (612 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I carry these in my 56f100 and they fit without any problem

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1953-64-Ford-F100-Truck-272-292-312-Y-Block-Chassis-Headers-Raw,5998.html
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
Here’s a picture of the Sanderson headers for the pickup applications.  This particular set was used in dyno tests comparing the various Y headers and manifolds as well as an extensive cylinder head dyno test.  This particular set was donated to the cause by Charlie Burns.  Thanks again Charlie.
 http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7a510f18-14f9-4597-b57e-bed6.jpg  

And here’s the link to the thread showing the dyno test results for the various exhaust manifolds and headers.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost99070.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

panel driver
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Those headers would be a good option, but when  i installed the automatic  AOD transmission i needed  to install side engine mounts at the 
middle of the engine, because the bellhousing did the rear support.  So i will need something that routes over the top and down.  I have seen a large 
front engine mount on some other engines, but the only other support i would have would be at the tail shaft of the transmission. 
That looks a little to unsecure for me.  I thought about fender well headers but not a big fan of cutting the fender liners.  Any other ideas would be great. 

miker
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
If I'm understanding, you're looking for passenger car headers (to clear the side motor mounts) that clear everything else in a truck. No clutch linkage, since it's an AOD, do you still have the column shift for the auto?

I had a set of Red's tri-Y' on my bird, and currently a set of FPA's. I know those won't clear the side mounts. None of the truck headers will. So your looking for a solution not many people need.

I understand on the fenderwell's. My best guess is maybe Red's current Tbird headers. The birds are tighter at the drivers side, just as the factory cast manifold is, and the flange is right off the tubes. That gives you more leeway on running the down pipe. I'm guessing the passenger side won't be a problem, but I'm not familiar with trucks.

Take a look at the factory cast manifolds for cars or birds. If you think you can work with that, then those headers (high and short vertically) will probably work if you can deal with the down pipe. Look at Ted's exhaust test, it might or might not be worth the effort from a performance standpoint from a cast manifold.

Otherwise it's going to be a custom build. If you go that route, post back. I know who builds the SS flanges that FPA uses and he used to sell them.

FWIW, the workmanship and coating on the Red's tri-Y's was top notch. 15 or so years ago.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
panel driver
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the ideas. I am using a floor shift for the automatic. I emailed Reds asking for dimensions on the F100 header for the volare 
front end, even though i am using a straight front axle.  I will look into the tbird headers but i did not see them on the site. Right side exhaust wont be a problem,  if  that works ok i still need to get around the brake booster under the floor and the inside the frame rail gas tank on the left side  for the panel truck. If you have a contact for the ss flanges  i would be interested.  Thanks again. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter