Profile Picture

Mallory distributor

Posted By SVMSR1044 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (24 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Anyone have any experience with a Mallory 2538701, dual point, centrifugal advance distributor on a stock, Fordomatic 292 or 312 Y-block? Good? Bad?

Thanks, Steve
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Not on a Y and don't know if the same model, but I had a similar dizzy on a 53 merc flathead and it ran great.  It was the newer style, not the one with a two piece cap.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
The Mallory dual points worked quite well back in the day. Much better than the stock Ford. Today the electronic distributors are much better for performance. The Mallory will work fine and give you some improvement along with the "look".

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
DryLakesRacer
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I ran a 50’s distributor with a Mallory dual point plate, external brass condenser, and coil for many years. It did not have a vacuum advance. When I sold the car I took it off. It was foolproof and I never had a failure with it. Since it is a point system I did use a ballast resistor.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Vic Correnti
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: 12 hours ago
Steve,
I have a dual point mallory #ZC325B tach drive distributor I ran on and off for 30 years on my Tbird. I used it in both a 292 and 312 stock and modified. It was always a great distributor and never had problems, the points stayed set. Eventually I upgraded to a MSD as I got hooked on nitrous.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

Vic Correnti
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Steve,
Here is a link to some information on the Mallory dual point distributor.
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig200.htm

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I assume you can no longer buy these distributors new?  I have heard parts are hard to find and expensive.  Is this true?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Vic Correnti
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Phil,
I haven't used the Mallory for the last 10 years but I was able to always find what I needed. A quick look on the internet I see parts. As I recall points last for a long time.
Now parts for this Tach Drive Spalding might be a little harder to find. But it looks impressive on a Tbird spinning that original tach. I can remember rotating the cam to set the timing because of limited space with the Edelbrock 255 to rotate it and have the tach cable where I wanted it.

MoonShadow
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I have several of the Spalding/Grant flame throwers. Very impressive for looks but costs about 20hp to run compared to a modern electronic. Parts are nearly impossible to find. I've been looking for the side plates and internal rotors for several years. Every place I find is closed down. I've heard rumors of some parts available in Cali. but no luck so far. I have a couple of scrub types and a Hemi. The neatest thing is the wires go to the sides and are separated on the distributor right and left side. Looks a lot like a mag to many people.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Cliff
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
I run a Spalding Flame Thrower in my bird for over 25 years, parts are hard to get.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter