Profile Picture

Connecting Rod Bolts

Posted By 55 GLASS TOP 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello , can I knock the bolts out with a hammer to change them or must they be pressed out thanks 
darrell
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 30 minutes ago
they are easy to knock out
charliemccraney
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
You have to have the big end resized.  Let the machine shop handle it, unless you just want  to remove them.

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Charlie beat me to the post but I'll add a bit more detail.

Be aware that removing the bolts from the rods and reinstalling the bolts again requires that the connecting rod big ends be resized.  For a quick test on this, just knock out the bolts in one rod, put the bolts back in the opposing holes, re-torque the nuts with the cap in place, and then measure the hole.  You’ll now find it out of round.  You may not even have to measure the hole if you feel a staggered lip at the bearing hole parting lines.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

So if I do not change the bolts I do not have to have the rods resized 
PF Arcand
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Depends on what U intend to do with the engine. If  they are probably original & any kind of higher performance is planned, best follow what has been recommended here & also replace them..

Paul
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Don't use 60+ year old rod bolts.   Use ARP bolts and have the rods resized and bushed.  These engines are old.  Your mains are probably out of align too. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

55 GLASS TOP (1/15/2020)
So if I do not change the bolts I do not have to have the rods resized

If the bolts are removed from the rods and regardless if the same bolts or new ones are reinstalled, rod big end resizing is required.

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Just ordered a set of ARP bolts I will get the rods resized as advised thank you . This is why I come here for the knowledge 
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Be aware that ARP offers two different bolt sets for the Ford Y rods.

The 154-6004 bolt set is for the ECZ, C1TE, & C2AE rods.

The 154-6005 bolt set is for the EBU rods.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter