Profile Picture

Y block trips!

Posted By '49 bomb! 4 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Hi guys! I know most of you visit the
Other sites. So for those who don't,
Here is my "issue". I'm sure it's been
Discussed before. I have a " rebuilt
Y block". It has "trips". The center carb.
Has a 7.5 P.V. rebuilt. jets#52. The two
Outer carbs. Have no P.V. or mixture screws. They are just there to dump
Fuel! Jets# 50. They were reworked
By "Charlie", to make sure throttle shafts
Are shut! The motor has 20# vacuum
@idle. Here is the issue I am having, I have to constantly run with the choke about halfway closed. If I don't it won't accelerate or run? I've tried all the usual checks for vacuum leaks etc. Maybe someone has a suggestion on this site?
Thanks for all replies!
Ted
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
I’ll suggest blocking off the end carbs at the manifold and running off of the center carb only.  If that fixes the problem, then revisit the end carbs.  I personally like the idle mixture screws in place on the end carbs for those instances that the end carb throttle blades do not close off completely.  I’ve also had cases where the camshaft was too wild for the carbs and the air bleeds had to be downsized or modified accordingly.  With 20”Hg manifold vacuum I don’t think your camshaft is overly wild so that should not be a problem.  You might mention the camshaft specs anyhow just to rule that out.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

'49 bomb!
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)Supercharged (92 reputation)

Thanks for reply! It's a "stock Rebuild".
Meaning no over bore. Stock cam.
And rebuilt heads. Nothing exotic..
Previously when I had this "issue". I did take off both end carburetors,and I used block off plates and ran just on the center carburetor. Honestly, it ran perfectly fine with that center carburetor. Here is why I'm confused? I sent both of those end carburetors to "Charlie".he did a fine job making sure the throttle plates were completely shut. BUT! When I hold my hand over the throat of the end carburetor, i can feel it drawing my hand down like it's sucking air...
oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Are both end Carbs drawing Air or just One? There's your problem I  think. Its running lean unless You activate the Choke to it draws more Fuel through the Center Carb. Additional Air from end Carb(s) is leaning out the Mixture.. Maybe U should contact Charlie and ask Him why its drawing Air even though the Throttle Plates are supposedly closed.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
paul2748
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
What do you have in place of the mixture screws on the end carbs?  As Ted mentioned, it;s better to have these in place and shut.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

'49 bomb!
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Still love your convertible, it's beautiful!
Back to business, both outer carbs are models # 59. I don't know what years these were used on? BUT! For whatever reason they don't have any idle mixture screw port's drilled in them! Or perhaps someone modified them and used a different base plate?. Anyways, I don't have a way to make sure throttle plates are closing all the way. Other than just feeling the linkage and visually looking down into the throat.
LD-Ordie
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)Normally aspirated (36 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Been reading your problem also on the Ford Barn, so removing the outer carbs is a new variable you didn't mention before. Removing one at a time may help find which one, if not both. So, I own 3 vehicles with Tri-Power's, all work perfect! I bought the base plate kit's from Charlie Price for all three. The new base plates have no idle mixture screws and seal damn near 100% If your feeling a air draw thru the secondaries, You need to pull them and verify where and why. I did all the rebuilds on mine, just bought his parts, but I really hear nothing but good stuff coming from him, so it's interesting your having issues after he serviced them. This has got to be something dumb that your missing, double check your progressive linkage as if they are not set right, you could be holding a butterfly open just a bithttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f1b38d3a-7867-4bc1-9361-dba6.jpg
'49 bomb!
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Let me clarify something! I am saying the the guy did an outstanding job reworking the two outer carburetors.
There is no issue with his work!
As I stated previously this was an "inherited issue"! So obviously there is something more going on here, I adjusted the linkage, to make sure that there is no binding and the throttle plates are completely shut! Since it is sucking air in the end carburetor, there is obviously a slight vacuum leak somewhere. My next step is to build a small smoke machine and try to locate it. I appreciate all the input guys!
Florida_Phil
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I had a similar problem with my trips.  I isolated the problem by blocking off the end manifold holes and switching the main bodies around.  This is easily done.  Charlie sets up his end carbs without power valves and leaves the idle circuits.  This allows you to fine tune the idle if you have a wilder camshaft like mine. My problem was in one of the carbs.  Charlie built a new carb for me and it worked fine.   Those old carbs are the problem.  I don't believe Charlie ever found the problem.  It was easier to build another.   He has a mountain of them behind his shop.

I sold my trips on EBay.  Not because they didn't work, I grew tired of dealing with old parts.  I'm setting up my dual quads with new Holleys.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

oldcarmark
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
'49 bomb! (1/16/2020)
Let me clarify something! I am saying the the guy did an outstanding job reworking the two outer carburetors.
There is no issue with his work!
As I stated previously this was an "inherited issue"! So obviously there is something more going on here, I adjusted the linkage, to make sure that there is no binding and the throttle plates are completely shut! Since it is sucking air in the end carburetor, there is obviously a slight vacuum leak somewhere. My next step is to build a small smoke machine and try to locate it. I appreciate all the input guys!

You can use an unlit Propane Torch or a can of Ether Spray to check for Leak. Engine will speed up when fuel drawn in where its leaking.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter