Profile Picture

O/D problem w/governor ?

Posted By Tim Quinn 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
The tranny was repaired out of the car. 
Put it back in and the OVERDRIVE is not working. Worked perfect before the repair work.
All I can deduce is that the governor is not sending the signal after we reach 28 mph.
The governor can be by-passed by shorting out the solenoid but this means no on/off of 
the overdrive...............it is in O/D all the time but can be shut off with a toggle switch.
"SO", what would cause the governor to fail ??????

Daniel Jessup
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Why was the transmission pulled in the first place? Maybe the rebuilder re-installed a part incorrectly?

If you are 100% sure it is the governor, most of the time it is just a grounding issue. Check and re-check the wiring. As I was going through my BW R10 overdrive in my 55, I too had issues and it was a simple wiring issue where I had not installed the correct terminal back to the kickdown relay. I know that is not the governor as you indicate in this instance, but once I double-checked my wiring we were good to go. 

A simple test on the governor would be to hook up a test light in the car clamped to a known LIVE terminal. Then the other clip to a lead wire going to the wire/terminal of the governor. Once you are up to the magic speed of 28 mph, that governor should ground the lead wire and voila! the light comes on.

I have quite a bit of my own foibles on www.hotrodreverend.com if you are willing to visit the site and look around at my articles and pictures. Just get on the blog and look at all the tag words on the right side of the page. 

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Thanks for the "TEST"
I believe the Old School  Mechanic did something wrong.
I' copy your note and show it to him.
Gene Purser
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

By the wording of the original post, I'm assuming he has grounded the governor terminal on the relay and the overdrive works? That should be the first test. The governor doesn't usually fail. The governor circuit runs through the kick down switch and has connections on each side that should be verified. The governor could have been damaged, not reinstalled correctly, or the wire could have been broken during the repair. A sure test would be to put the car securely on jack stands and check the governor with an ohm meter while running the rear wheels above 30 mph. 
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Most O/D problems are electrical.  Whenever I have problems with my O/D, I run two tests.  First, I test the solenoid and make sure it is activating. You can do this with a wire from the battery.  If it clicks, it is working.  Next, I jack the car up on jacks stands and use a ground wire with a light in series to check the governor.  With the car in gear, at 28 mph the light should turn on. If those two work, you most likely have a bad connection.  Be sure to check the kick down switch under the accelerator.  It's an open switch and is prone to corrosion.  It is possible the transmission mechanic caused a problem with the O/D when he rebuilt it.  It doubt it.  The O/D is a pretty simple device. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Lord Gaga
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 1:57:17 AM
Remove the govenor cover plate and inspect/clean the contact points.
Verify that the unit is rotating. Remove from trans by unscrewing it, inspect driven and drive gears. Make sure that they mesh when installed. 

"FREE SAMPLE"
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

PRAISE THE LORD,
Right now the tranny is in the car.
Do you recommend pulling the gov. while still in the car ?
Thanks for you in put.
PS: As mentioned, I've got the O/D working by shorting out the solenoid and using
a toggle switch to turn the solenoid on and off.
This works after 40 mph but at stops, I have to manually turn it off.
Tim 
Downtown, Florida 33706
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for your input.
The statement " not installed correctly" is where the problem began.
I'll talk to the mechanic about this issue.
Again,
Thanks
Tim
Waiting Room for Heaven,
Florida 33706
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hey Phil,
Thanks for your "test info"
That will be on my list of 'things to do.'
Thanks again,
Tim.
West Coast, Fl 33706

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
It seems we have a lot of Florida based members.  We should get together some day.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter