O/D problem w/governor ?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic148886.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Tim Quinn - 5 Years Ago
The tranny was repaired out of the car. 
Put it back in and the OVERDRIVE is not working. Worked perfect before the repair work.
All I can deduce is that the governor is not sending the signal after we reach 28 mph.
The governor can be by-passed by shorting out the solenoid but this means no on/off of 
the overdrive...............it is in O/D all the time but can be shut off with a toggle switch.
"SO", what would cause the governor to fail ??????

By Daniel Jessup - 5 Years Ago
Why was the transmission pulled in the first place? Maybe the rebuilder re-installed a part incorrectly?

If you are 100% sure it is the governor, most of the time it is just a grounding issue. Check and re-check the wiring. As I was going through my BW R10 overdrive in my 55, I too had issues and it was a simple wiring issue where I had not installed the correct terminal back to the kickdown relay. I know that is not the governor as you indicate in this instance, but once I double-checked my wiring we were good to go. 

A simple test on the governor would be to hook up a test light in the car clamped to a known LIVE terminal. Then the other clip to a lead wire going to the wire/terminal of the governor. Once you are up to the magic speed of 28 mph, that governor should ground the lead wire and voila! the light comes on.

I have quite a bit of my own foibles on www.hotrodreverend.com if you are willing to visit the site and look around at my articles and pictures. Just get on the blog and look at all the tag words on the right side of the page. 
Thanks for the "TEST"
I believe the Old School  Mechanic did something wrong.
I' copy your note and show it to him.
By Gene Purser - 5 Years Ago
By the wording of the original post, I'm assuming he has grounded the governor terminal on the relay and the overdrive works? That should be the first test. The governor doesn't usually fail. The governor circuit runs through the kick down switch and has connections on each side that should be verified. The governor could have been damaged, not reinstalled correctly, or the wire could have been broken during the repair. A sure test would be to put the car securely on jack stands and check the governor with an ohm meter while running the rear wheels above 30 mph. 
By Florida_Phil - 5 Years Ago
Most O/D problems are electrical.  Whenever I have problems with my O/D, I run two tests.  First, I test the solenoid and make sure it is activating. You can do this with a wire from the battery.  If it clicks, it is working.  Next, I jack the car up on jacks stands and use a ground wire with a light in series to check the governor.  With the car in gear, at 28 mph the light should turn on. If those two work, you most likely have a bad connection.  Be sure to check the kick down switch under the accelerator.  It's an open switch and is prone to corrosion.  It is possible the transmission mechanic caused a problem with the O/D when he rebuilt it.  It doubt it.  The O/D is a pretty simple device. 
By Lord Gaga - 5 Years Ago
Remove the govenor cover plate and inspect/clean the contact points.
Verify that the unit is rotating. Remove from trans by unscrewing it, inspect driven and drive gears. Make sure that they mesh when installed. 
PRAISE THE LORD,
Right now the tranny is in the car.
Do you recommend pulling the gov. while still in the car ?
Thanks for you in put.
PS: As mentioned, I've got the O/D working by shorting out the solenoid and using
a toggle switch to turn the solenoid on and off.
This works after 40 mph but at stops, I have to manually turn it off.
Tim 
Downtown, Florida 33706
Thanks for your input.
The statement " not installed correctly" is where the problem began.
I'll talk to the mechanic about this issue.
Again,
Thanks
Tim
Waiting Room for Heaven,
Florida 33706
Hey Phil,
Thanks for your "test info"
That will be on my list of 'things to do.'
Thanks again,
Tim.
West Coast, Fl 33706

It seems we have a lot of Florida based members.  We should get together some day.
By Lord Gaga - 5 Years Ago
Tim Quinn (11/11/2019)
PRAISE THE LORD,
Right now the tranny is in the car.
Do you recommend pulling the gov. while still in the car ?
Thanks for you in put.
PS: As mentioned, I've got the O/D working by shorting out the solenoid and using
a toggle switch to turn the solenoid on and off.
This works after 40 mph but at stops, I have to manually turn it off.
Tim 
Downtown, Florida 33706

Easy to remove gov. with trans. in car. Disconnect wire and unscrew it. If you don't have a narrow jawed wrench to fit the hex, use a pipe wrench. (It has RH threads, turn left to remove).
PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE CHICKEN !

I'll give it a try.......everything else is in place, the wires are all in the correct spots
and the solenoid engages and the O/D works by shorting out the solenoid form
 the toggle switch that I used to replace the kick down switch.
Phil,
What do you suggest ?
Center of the state near Old Town ?
Gainsville, Ocala or Sebring ?
The proverbially ball is in you court.
As I ,mentioned, St Pete Beach is where I hide from the IRS (Infrared Rays of the Sun
Keep in touch
Tim
Wrinkle City, FL 33706
I live in Eustis.  That's about 40 miles north east of Orlando.  So far, I have not driven my TBird farther than 50 miles or so.  I don't like to take it on the expressway.  We are planning to go to the Turkey Rod run in Daytona on Thanksgiving weekend to pick up a new windshield.  There are a few YBlock cars at our local car shows.  They are all mostly big Fords and trucks.   One other TBird that I know of.  It's a 57.  I am always on the look out for parts. 
Dear Lord,
So, I squeezed under the car to examine the governor.
It does not bolt to the tail shaft.
It looks like it is screwed into that section.
On the tranny, it says it is a T-86.
What's up Doc ?
Tim
Mud Key, Florida 33706

By 57RancheroJim - 5 Years Ago
Yes, it screws in.
I have never had the governor out of my transmission.  There is a hole in the floor of my TBird to service the governor.  Thank God I haven't had to use it.  You have the same transmission I have.
By Sandbird - 5 Years Ago
It might not sound related but does your speedometer work? It is the same gear that drives both the speedometer and the governor. If speedometer doesn't work neither will the governor.
SPEEDO works.
Have to have a meeting with the mechanic that took the tranny out and put it back.
I stood in his shop and he told me that O/D was not damaged (The Good News)
The problem has to be simple, we just have to solve the puzzel/
Thanks for your thoughts,
Tim
Mud Key, Fl
Hey Phil,
The problem was with old original wiring, so I re-wired the system following the wiring diagram on line for our cars.
No luck, car fires up and drives but as soon as I activate the toggle switch and let off on the gas, everything quits, no power, just coasting. Turn off toggle switch after I shift to neutral and the engine fires up again.
So now, I switch the two solenoid and it is now in PERMANENT OVERDRIVE...not good!!!! can't turn it off with the toggle switch.
Got any answers ?
Tim