Profile Picture

368 Lincoln Build

Posted By martyk98 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'm looking for professional input. I have a very nice 368 block. Not looking to build a race engine but wondering what i can do to pump it up a little. Can I run roller lifters/cam? 
Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
What vehicle?  Are you wanting to keep it original looking?  If not, then a couple of spacers, and a SBC intake manifold help, and headers, pertronix ignition, and a good 750 cfm carb.  I have ported several sets of the heads, and they respond well to that if you decide to wake the engine up.  Simply adding a roller camshaft will not get you there.  The cam cores are really difficult to find.  Royce B. is the resident expert on the 368 Y.  Joe-JDC 

JDC
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 9 days ago
... a couple of spacers, and a SBC intake manifold help ...

Are these spacers available or do they need to be fabricated?

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
KULTULZ (11/8/2019)
... a couple of spacers, and a SBC intake manifold help ...

Are these spacers available or do they need to be fabricated?

I haven’t seen those intake manifold adapter spacers being commercially available for the LYB engines but they could be out there.  In looking at some of Royce Brechler’s modified LYB engines, they don’t look to be too difficult to fabricate.  Here are some pics.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/967905dd-d15b-4846-9c86-64e0.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b7babad2-39c3-4f06-b8f0-602a.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e0f53976-e2a2-4e97-8c2f-7318.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/750ff1a7-4401-47ea-afbf-3375.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

THANX! again Ted ... really appreciated.

Those adapters are fairly gnarly looking. I assume they can be more blended in appearance.

It was found that the 303 OLDS had near matching ports and this allowed a HILLBORN INJ ASSY to be mounted on a LYB. But like the LYB, I can see no aftermarket 4V ALUM intake released for the OLDS.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/80ac1475-dbbe-420f-b574-df5f.jpg

martyk98
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)Supercharged (403 reputation)

I have one of those Hilborns stamped 303. It was on a 368 race engine I bought years ago. The block was junk but I kept all the aftermarket stuff. After reading more info I will probably stick with the stock engine rebuilt. I've done a little porting on the heads but have learned in the past that the smoother you make the runners, the more RPM's you need to make it work right. I wss hoping to find someone who could retrofit my Hilborn FI unit with EFI and make a nice engine for my 54 Merc.
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Read This - http://hilborninjection.com/faq/can-i-convert-my-old-mechanical-unit/

martyk98
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I've already talked to them. They won't do a retro, just sell you new equipment.
RB
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
If you have the 303 olds injector body they are easy to adapt to the Lincoln. I did it and It picked up 60 horse over the best factory manifold.But that was mechanical injection, not EfI

This guy can help you with adapting the Hilborn to EFI  .   https://foxinjection.com/.       Alkydiggers.com can also do it

I have a couple old Edmunds dual carb intakes that would be OK for a warmed up stock engine one is ported by JDC and flows enough to make 350 or 375 horse.  Forget the roller cam  the view is not worth the climb, unless you address a lot of other areas that would be expensive, and negatively affect street manners. In fact even flat tappet blanks are very hard to find.. Regrinding your stock core will serve you just fine..Spend your money on head work ,increasing compression, and improving the intake manifold.. 400hp is not an unreasonable goal. I made my own intake spacers.. That is a big chunk of aluminum to make it work, but work it does. I merely calculated how thick the spacer needed to be,  put a 368 gasket on one side and traced out the pattern, Then the SBC gasket on the other side and scribed that .  Drill the holes  to mount spacer to block, then manifold to spacer... I had JDC do the finish work, line up the ports and shape them to match up side to side.. It works well, but you better have a lot of hood clearance
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

martyk98 (11/13/2019)

I've already talked to them. They won't do a retro, just sell you new equipment.

That's what I was trying to say but didn't post. When you go to their page, the first thing they say is no EFI retro-fit any longer -

Can I convert my old mechanical unit?

Although it is possible to convert your old Hilborn Injector to EFI, we have found that after spending the time and money required to accomplish this, it makes better financial sense to buy a new injector already set up for EFI. We’ve redesigned our original castings at the foundry level to accept all the necessary EFI components, which in the long run, can save you money by eliminating costly re-machining for conversion. Because of this, we do not offer machining conversion services at Hilborn Fuel Injection. However, most blown mechanical fuel injectors, whether scoop or hat style, can be easily converted to EFI.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter