Profile Picture

55 3 speed OD butter box upgrade help needed

Posted By Melly 2 Weeks Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)Supercharged (357 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I now have the stock 3 spd OD transmission in my 55 Crown, She has 1957, 312 with G heads and 57 distributor. 570 Holley SA carb. Did not do overhaul so don’t know internals. But runs good and strong. I would like to upgrade the Butter Box stock 3spd W/OD. With something more durable and have OD if possible. As I am reluctant to lean on it from past experiences with this type transmission from back in my day. I final found a tranny that would take a beating and keep on ticking, but lost to many brain cell to remember what I used. I do remember that the gears inside were thicker and fewer teeth then the stock tranny. So hopefully you all are willing two find something I can upgrade to as I always fear that broken teeth that cursed me long ago but learn fix and replace in my sleep. What would you all suggest I look for, are you are using.
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted Last Week
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
You probably used a Warner Gear T-85 back in the day.  The Ford versions bolted to the Y bellhousing, and driveshaft upgrade may have to be made, depending on which T-85 was used.  They are still around today in used condition.  Today it is possible to adapt more modern T-5 and T-6 4 and 5 and 6 speed transmissions with OD.  I think Mummert sells adaptors to bolt the later trans to the Y.

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
57RancheroJim
Posted Last Week
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I doubt the 55 had a T-85, it probably has the lighter duty trans with R10 OD. A T-85 with R11 OD is a heavy duty version. I use a T-85 from a 1961 390/401 hp and ran many back in the day, you can't blow them with a Y block.. I believe many of the early Birds also used the T-85.
Vic Correnti
Posted Last Week
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
I have yet to find a Ford transmission that I can't break with my Yblock except so far the one out of the Ford 7 Liter with the 31 spline output shaft.

Vic Correnti

KULTULZ
Posted Last Week
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
I doubt the 55 had a T-85, it probably has the lighter duty trans with R10 OD

If wanting to stay period correct -

A 55 most likely came through with the T86/RIO.

The T85/R11 only came through on a HP FORD and/or MERC in 1955.

ILL shows top loader T86 and below it the T85. This is a 57 ILL as the 55 BIRD used the T86.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/187380d7-6e45-4fa9-97bd-b132.jpg

I stand corrected -

From 'THE OTHER FORUM' -

zoegrant Posted 09-30-2012]

The 55 t-bird tranny case is stamped AF7006-B  the overdrive was R 10F-1B. This was a BW 259 tranny...side cover has 9 bolts and is rectangular in shape.three side cover corners are rounded,the lower front corner is square.

The overdrive housing is 18" long,the input shaft has 10 spines and a diameter of 1"....the output shaft has 16 spines and a diameter of 1.175". Some passenger cars 1952-1956 have similar tranny`s....

This info is from the restoration manual by Gil Baumgartner of CTCI

The T85 and BW 259 (both side loaders) can be ID'd by the side cover detail.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c8fc3214-408d-488b-9d42-8a0d.jpg

T85 C-1A - R11-1E (56 MERC) - BW 259 - R10F-1A (55 BIRD)

W (BY GOD) V - EASTERN PANHANDLE

Vic Correnti
Posted Last Week
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)Supercharged (538 reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Melly,
If your not staying period correct I might have a later model 3 speed that is fully synchro'd.

Vic Correnti

jw375
Posted Last Week
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)Turbocharged (61 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Have 56 Truck Trans with Stock over drive clutch & bell housing  & 3  on the tree trans  Needs a seal but shifted great  I'll sell Grants Pass or  Shoot me a offer just came out of my truck
Florida_Phil
Posted Last Week
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

My 55 Tbird has it's original transmission.  It came with a BW T86 with an R10 Overdrive. The T86 is a small top load three speed. I have had numerous T85 transmissions.  They are larger and very tough.  The input splines are different on the big blocks.  I'm not sure a T85 would fit in a 55 Tbird tunnel without modification as the 55 tunnels are smaller.  There has never been a transmission that someone can not blow up.

Back in the day, we destroyed the smaller Ford three speeds like they were made of butter. They cost about $20 or less at a junk yard.  We called the T85 a Mercury transmission and they cost $75.  That was more than a week's pay back then.  Great memories.
57RancheroJim
Posted Last Week
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

jw375 (11/5/2019)
Have 56 Truck Trans with Stock over drive clutch & bell housing  & 3  on the tree trans  Needs a seal but shifted great  I'll sell Grants Pass or  Shoot me a offer just came out of my truck
Truck trans and bell housing are completely different from passenger car..

57RancheroJim
Posted Last Week
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Florida_Phil (11/6/2019)
My 55 Tbird has it's original transmission.  It came with a BW T86 with an R10 Overdrive. The T86 is a small top load three speed. I have had numerous T85 transmissions.  They are larger and very tough.  The input splines are different on the big blocks.  I'm not sure a T85 would fit in a 55 Tbird tunnel without modification as the 55 tunnels are smaller.  There has never been a transmission that someone can not blow up.

Back in the day, we destroyed the smaller Ford three speeds like they were made of butter. They cost about $20 or less at a junk yard.  We called the T85 a Mercury transmission and they cost $75.  That was more than a week's pay back then.  Great memories.
Those were the good old days, I can still picture the trans pile and digging through it for the three speeds. Finally found a T85 from a big block and never did blow that one. I'm using a T85 from a big block today in my 57. They have 23 spline input shafts.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter