Profile Picture

Help: No Start

Posted By mac 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)Normally aspirated (48 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I suppose I could try lifting the remote ground and putting it directly to the breaker plate. There is a tach in the circuit. It won't start so I was checking spark intensity while cranking. 
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Make sure the remote ground is good. I did not see in the INSTR what ACCEL wanted done with the OEM GRD. Did you remove it? Maybe reinstall as there can't be too many GRD's.

Is your system GEN or ALT?

Also, read the INSTR as to TACH circuit. PERTRONIX had a problem with this also.

Sandbird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The Accel instructions shows fig. # 3 wiring diagram using resistance wire along with Accel performance coil 8140. All three wiring configs show resistance used in all of the examples. The instructions seem to have contradictions and there is mention of  damage to the 2020 from over voltage. I would install a new 2020 using a ballast resistor and be sure to use the thermo conductive grease as it will help dissipate heat. I would continue to use the ground to the engine block. I think overheating has been your problem.
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 13 minutes ago
Yep, resistance of some kind should be used and none is.  There is a whole paragraph at the beginning of the instructions explaining that a resistor must be used.

Link to instructions:  https://documents.holley.com/accel_instructions_points_eliminator_kit_ford_2020.pdf

Lawrenceville, GA
Gene Purser
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Directly under the paragraph about resistance there is a paragraph titled "Exceptions" that says you can use battery voltage with one of Accel's approved coils, and the 8140 used by the OP is one of the approved coils. I can't read the words pointing to the incoming wire on figure #3, but it doesn't show a resistance or ballast resistor. If the problem were mine, I would put a set of points/condenser in the distributor to try. 
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 13 minutes ago
If you zoom in on figure 3. it says "oem primary resistance wire."

That would be one of the contradictions that Sandbird mentions.

It does say in various other places that it is not needed with the 8140 so it probably is ok but clarification from Accel is needed.

Lawrenceville, GA
Gene Purser
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Thanks Charlie. The words just got blurred when I zoomed in.
By the way, I looked for info on the 8140 coil, and it says it it has 1.4 ohm resistance in the primary circuit. Not too different from many other coils.
As a side note, Pertronix says that adding resistance ahead of the coil won't affect normal performance on their units and can help the unit run cooler. They said that it "might" affect high RPM performance. 
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

The ACCEL INSTR SHEET IS CONFUSING -

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/68b0b38e-2df1-4fc7-9e89-4dca.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/106d05b5-95ce-4c53-a024-fac6.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fa5469db-2b66-4120-9931-128d.jpg

Gene Purser
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It is a LITTLE confusing. It is obvious that the words referencing the resistance wire weren't removed when the resistance symbol was removed from figure #1to make figure #3. The "exceptions" paragraph is clear enough to explain the mistake. 
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It is a whole bunch confusing. You have to pull each item out.

The system is overly complicated compared to PERTRONIX II (IMO).

Reading This Topic

Site Meter