Profile Picture

317 Lincoln Y performance parts

Posted By V8JET 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi everyone, and particular thanks to Ted Eaton for adding me to this site.
By way of intro names Larry in England and have a 239 Ford Y in my 54 Country Squire Wagon and a 317 Lincoln Y in a 53 Capri Coupe.
I'm aiming on getting both back on road by next year.  
And because we like a challenge my son and I have decided to do the 2020 Carrera Panamericana in the Capri. We're doing it in the Original PanAm class as we don't fancy killing ourselves trying to keep up with LS engined Studebakers.....
From what we've found out so far we know the Lincoln motor is both very different to the Ford Y and also really tough to find performance parts for. We aim to build an engine for PanAm which is a decent street engine rather than a full on race motor as we want reliability over all out power. 

We wanted to tap into the real knowledge on Y block to ask if any  aftermarket parts would fit the Lincoln 317? (Par numbers would be  ideal)
1) Specifically is there an inlet manifold which takes a modern Holley 4bbl which fits the Lincoln? Preferably in aluminum
2) Would any of the aftermarket Ford Y exhaust manifolds / headers fit the Lincoln?
3) If I swap out the distributor drive gear is there a modern MSD / Similar distributor you guys have used?
4) Anyone know a spindle that would fit the Lincoln front suspension that we could then convert to discs and 4 pot (even Willwood) callipers.  Granada is a common Mustang mod but we hear changes steering geometry so other suggestions would be great
5) Even main bearings don't seem to be supported by Clevite/ Fed Mogul has anyone used a similar (say scruby) rod in a Lincoln Y?

Am sure they'll be lots more we need to find out but these are some for starters.  
If anyone has actually done the PanAm in a Capri and knows what works / doesn't within the rules we'd love to hear from you, or. from anyone you know. 
We're really limited to parts we can find here in UK.
Thanks again
cheers

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4f90a0e9-0bc2-4313-86cb-f238.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b7d94bc6-fe77-49c7-8199-4f38.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/83e121c0-47cf-402c-8683-c4e.jpeg

RB
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Let me try to answer your questions in order.. I have built several of these engines both stock and performance.

Intake manifolds are a problem  The only single 4bbl holley pattern intake is cast iron and is found on the 332 heavy truck engine from 1957 to 1964. They occasionally show up on ebay.
For Aluminum, there are only multi carb intakes . The factory M-335 intake used on 57 Mercurys is the best of the lot but rare and expensive. Edmunds made a 2x4 and a 2x2 intake but these are also scarce..
For my performance Lincoln Y blocks i use an aluminum spacer, and adapt a small block scruby intake

Ford Y bock header will not fit.. There are header flanges available, and what I do is adapt header from a small block scruby, or make my own.

A Ford Y block distributor will fit the Lincoln if you change the drive gear. .MSD has them, or you can convert a stock 57 and later distributor to electronic

Bearings and other engine parts are availbale from several Vendors  Check Ebay 

My friend Rick Martin has run the Pan america race in his 53 Lincoln.. You might contact him for advice. martinrp2@aol.com.....I believe he even has some video of him running flat out down a long strait stretch of road...

Your Lincoln engine is very rugged and will hold up well to just about any amount of reasonable horsepower you throw at it.. My 57 368 based engine has made hundreds of dyno pulls  survived 3 engine masters competitions and made dozens of 1/4 mile runs in my drag car.. it makes 520 horse and 500 fit lb of torque and pulls to 6500 rpm..I have never even had the oil pan off of it during this time.

I will be happy to give tech assistance or help track down parts for your car,,Royce Brechler

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
fyi, scruby = ch evy

The forum automatically changes ch evy to scruby, kind of an inside joke but annoying at times, particularly when explaining things to a new person as in this thread.

Lawrenceville, GA
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
You asked about other brand main bearings.  In my 312 Y Block I had trouble finding main bearings, then found that Chrysler 383/400 engines had the same crankshaft diameter and bearing saddle bores in the block, and I adapted Chrysler bearings.  Y Block bearings have since become more available.  Numbers 1,2,4,and 5 were very easy to adapt.  They were wider than the Y, but the overhang was not a problem.  Had to grind notches for the bearing locking tangs on the opposite side, the new bearings' tangs didn't line up with the Y slots.  The thrust bearing was a little more difficult, it was too wide.  I narrowed it by cutting it in the center with my abrasive cutoff wheel, re-cut the oil groove and oil hole, and ground slots in the block and cap for the tangs, and had to pin in two places with aluminium pins.  Has worked flawlessly in my drag race car for several years.  If the original Lincoln thrust bearing is serviceable, using it saves a lot of time.  Be sure to check the thrust flange diameter against the Lincoln recess if you use a Chrysler thrust bearing.  I think the Chrysler flange was slightly larger than the Y's.  All the above modifications were performed by me in my home workshop. 

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
I use Lincoln main bearings in 312 engines, Federal Mogul Part# 4156, 4 of the bearings fit as is, you need 2 sets to make one set for a 312 Ford.
V8JET
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (12 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Guys thanks for all the help, its a lot clearer now.
Have to say Scruby got me at first and I thought "damn, my first post and I'm going to have to look like some dumb ass Brit asking what they mean by scruby!" but then I realised it could only mean one thing!!
and Charlie came to the rescue to confirm.

Royce, your offer of help is really appreciated.  I have a meeting soon with my engine guy to look at the current state of the engine and will then finalise our specification.
First off I have to get the car registered with the equivalent of your DMV then will drive to my engine guy and we'll see what the condition of existing motor is.  
It certainly sounds sweet at moment, and doesn't overheat which is at least one good thing!

Thanks again guys

cheers

Larry
Carson
Posted 4 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)Supercharged (190 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
V8JET, 
I have  completed the la Carrera  seven times  plus  four Chihuahua  rallys in my '54 Ford  Vic . It has a Mummert  292 Y Block so can't help mucho w/ your engine questions  but can offer some good advise I've learned in car prep  etc  for these Mx rallys.
if interested give  me a shout at  Rancheria@aol.com 

I've posted   here before  . Carson 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter