Hi everyone, and particular thanks to Ted Eaton for adding me to this site.
By way of intro names Larry in England and have a 239 Ford Y in my 54 Country Squire Wagon and a 317 Lincoln Y in a 53 Capri Coupe.
I'm aiming on getting both back on road by next year.
And because we like a challenge my son and I have decided to do the 2020 Carrera Panamericana in the Capri. We're doing it in the Original PanAm class as we don't fancy killing ourselves trying to keep up with LS engined Studebakers.....
From what we've found out so far we know the Lincoln motor is both very different to the Ford Y and also really tough to find performance parts for. We aim to build an engine for PanAm which is a decent street engine rather than a full on race motor as we want reliability over all out power.
We wanted to tap into the real knowledge on Y block to ask if any aftermarket parts would fit the Lincoln 317? (Par numbers would be ideal)
1) Specifically is there an inlet manifold which takes a modern Holley 4bbl which fits the Lincoln? Preferably in aluminum
2) Would any of the aftermarket Ford Y exhaust manifolds / headers fit the Lincoln?
3) If I swap out the distributor drive gear is there a modern MSD / Similar distributor you guys have used?
4) Anyone know a spindle that would fit the Lincoln front suspension that we could then convert to discs and 4 pot (even Willwood) callipers. Granada is a common Mustang mod but we hear changes steering geometry so other suggestions would be great
5) Even main bearings don't seem to be supported by Clevite/ Fed Mogul has anyone used a similar (say scruby) rod in a Lincoln Y?
Am sure they'll be lots more we need to find out but these are some for starters.
If anyone has actually done the PanAm in a Capri and knows what works / doesn't within the rules we'd love to hear from you, or. from anyone you know.
We're really limited to parts we can find here in UK.