Manual 3 speed w/overdive stuck in 2nd gear, won't shift

Posted By Tim Quinn 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Manual 3 speed w/overdive stuck in 2nd gear, won't shift

Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
The 3 speed transmission in the '56 Ford won't shift It seems to be stuck (locked) in 3rd gear.
It will run down the road in 3rd but it won't go into 1st, 2nd or reverse.
Any body out there know the problem(s) I did squirt some grease in the fitting on top of 
the shift column, and added washers to the transmission arms where the leavers hook-up.
Thanks in advance,
Tim
Florida West Coast

pintoplumber
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I have the same problem. I’ve dropped the transmission, hope to start disassembly tonight. The input shaft is locked up to the output shaft. I found a little piece of metal that looks like part of the hub insert on the synchronizer assembly. I have no chipped or broken gears. I was about a mile from home, pulled up to a stop sign and it was locked in 3rd. I need the truck in 2 weeks. Hope to get it done.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Remove the two nuts that hold the shift arms to side of the transmission and try to shift the transmission with a 3/8 wrench.  Both the front and rear arm should have three detent positions.  The center position is neutral.   In neutral you should be able to turn the driveshaft.  If the transmission shifts with a wrench, the problem is most likely in the column linkage.  If it doesn't, you have broken parts in the transmission itself. The weakest part of these transmissions was 2nd gear. 

These transmissions are not difficult to work on if you have some mechanical aptitude. You will need a good shop manual.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

pintoplumber
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Well I found my problem. My input shaft bearing is broken.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3047f5ac-add1-4e79-a3ed-14ea.jpg  Dennis in Lititz PA
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Nice.  Normally it's the cluster gear.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Thanks Phil,
I'll try that this AM
Tim
West Coast, Fl 33706
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Phil 
Monday 10:50 AM.
So, undid the linkage and started trying to get the tranny arms in neutral.
After pulling,prying, moving the driveshaft (for 2.5 hours)............it now shifts effortlessly.
For how long ??????????
Going to review problem tomorrow with and old school mechanic here in St Pete.
Again,
Thanks,
Tim
Waiting Room for Heaven,
Florida 33706
DANIEL TINDER
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Likely the synchros are worn out (modern lube use aggravates the issue). When my ‘55 BW OD started getting stuck in gear 15 yrs ago, I had an old-school mechanic rebuild it. But, I also tracked down all the NOS parts for him first. Luckily, the sun gear assembly was still good, as those parts are really hard to locate (?).

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Here's the lube I use in my T86 O/D transmission.. I buy it at Tractor Supply.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c4c59974-2134-4e13-b193-f1bf.jpg

Daniel Jessup
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Ditto, Florida Phil. I run the exact same oil in my 3 speed/R10 OD transmission.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Reading This Topic

Site Meter