Manual 3 speed w/overdive stuck in 2nd gear, won't shift

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic147997.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Tim Quinn - 5 Years Ago
The 3 speed transmission in the '56 Ford won't shift It seems to be stuck (locked) in 3rd gear.
It will run down the road in 3rd but it won't go into 1st, 2nd or reverse.
Any body out there know the problem(s) I did squirt some grease in the fitting on top of 
the shift column, and added washers to the transmission arms where the leavers hook-up.
Thanks in advance,
Tim
Florida West Coast

By pintoplumber - 5 Years Ago
I have the same problem. I’ve dropped the transmission, hope to start disassembly tonight. The input shaft is locked up to the output shaft. I found a little piece of metal that looks like part of the hub insert on the synchronizer assembly. I have no chipped or broken gears. I was about a mile from home, pulled up to a stop sign and it was locked in 3rd. I need the truck in 2 weeks. Hope to get it done.
By Florida_Phil - 5 Years Ago
Remove the two nuts that hold the shift arms to side of the transmission and try to shift the transmission with a 3/8 wrench.  Both the front and rear arm should have three detent positions.  The center position is neutral.   In neutral you should be able to turn the driveshaft.  If the transmission shifts with a wrench, the problem is most likely in the column linkage.  If it doesn't, you have broken parts in the transmission itself. The weakest part of these transmissions was 2nd gear. 

These transmissions are not difficult to work on if you have some mechanical aptitude. You will need a good shop manual.
By pintoplumber - 5 Years Ago
Well I found my problem. My input shaft bearing is broken.
Nice.  Normally it's the cluster gear.

Thanks Phil,
I'll try that this AM
Tim
West Coast, Fl 33706
Phil 
Monday 10:50 AM.
So, undid the linkage and started trying to get the tranny arms in neutral.
After pulling,prying, moving the driveshaft (for 2.5 hours)............it now shifts effortlessly.
For how long ??????????
Going to review problem tomorrow with and old school mechanic here in St Pete.
Again,
Thanks,
Tim
Waiting Room for Heaven,
Florida 33706
By DANIEL TINDER - 5 Years Ago
Likely the synchros are worn out (modern lube use aggravates the issue). When my ‘55 BW OD started getting stuck in gear 15 yrs ago, I had an old-school mechanic rebuild it. But, I also tracked down all the NOS parts for him first. Luckily, the sun gear assembly was still good, as those parts are really hard to locate (?).
Here's the lube I use in my T86 O/D transmission.. I buy it at Tractor Supply.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c4c59974-2134-4e13-b193-f1bf.jpg
By Daniel Jessup - 5 Years Ago
Ditto, Florida Phil. I run the exact same oil in my 3 speed/R10 OD transmission.
Got the transmission to work, Drove about 11 miles and it lockup again in 3rd gear.
Locked up after maybe 4 or 5 stops.  It was shifted thru all three gears.....1st, 2nd, 3rd with no problem. THEN, all of a sudden, it lock in 3rd. To get it out of 3rd with the engine,at idle, the clutch was dropped and it popped into neutral!!!!!
Going home, only 1st and 2nd were used and when possible, it went into overdrive.Reverse is no problem. Goes in and out with no lockup.
Seems that 3rd gear is the problem
What do you think ????
Thanks,
Tim
Wrinkle City, FL 33706
Found a supply outlet about 45 minutes from here in Bradenton, Florida ,
Two gallons for $23.00
Thanks for the help,
Tim
St Pete Beach
FL 33706
In the early sixties, I street raced 1956-57 Fords.  They all had three speed transmissions.  I blew up so many of them the junk yard guy kept a few around just for me.  Later when I got some money, I bought a T85 and that was the end of my tranny problems.  I have never had a blown Ford three speed leave me on the side of the road.  They always got me home in some gear.

Your transmission needs to come out.  Pull it out and take it to someone who knows manual transmissions.  That transmission is a simple device.  It can be rebuilt in a day by someone knowledgeable about old things.  If the guy who rebuilds it is less than 50 years old, he probably isn't.

By MoonShadow - 5 Years Ago
My first Y-Block was a 57 Ford 312 I converted to three 2's and finally took out the automatic and changed it to stick. This was around 1960 so I used whatever transmission I could find. Often a 3 speed out of a 6 cylinder car. They were a couple bucks cheaper. I can't remember how many transmission I broke but it was at least over a dozen. I got real good at swapping them out. Went under with all the tools I needed and of course none of the bolts was super tight. BigGrin I could break them by launching too hard or attempting to power shift. Most commonly I'd break the low and reverse cluster. I wish I had one of the old guys around to advise me on transmission choice back then. I could have saved a little money and embarrassment.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0ad49236-a51d-4069-bfec-78e6.jpgGood Stories,
Racing on the back roads or from light to light......THEM WERE THE DAYS.
Had a '56 Fairlane, three on the tree, 312 w/tripower, Mallory w/Packed 440 wires and bald snow tires and a set of Thrush Mufflers that were too cool. Beat a lot of fords and Chebbies.
Someone with a '55 Pontiac 4 door that had a 348 cleaned my clock. He was in a different league.
Sold the '56 to a guy who smashed it up but for some reason he kept the dash . It stayed in his barn for over 50 + years.
 In August,of this year I went to that barn and pulled that dash out of the dust and cobwebs of over 50 years. (Just like on American Pickers)
Hauled it back to Florida and today it is hanging in my garage next to my 1956 Ford Crown Victoria.
A complete circle.........and I paid for the dash with a 6 pack of Bud Light .
All I can say is I'm glad I didn't have a TBird back then. Every little thing requires removal of the engine.  We are getting pretty good at it.  The last time we had it out and back in six hours.  I'm getting too old for this....Blush
I'll do that, I all so have a spare 3 speed  that we've already used to salvage spare parts
Thanks,
Tim 
Hot n' Humid, Fl 33706
By BamaBob - 5 Years Ago
Where was that barn at? I just wonder how far you had to go for that dash. Great story!
By 57RancheroJim - 5 Years Ago
What gear oil are you using? Synthetics can cause sticking synchros and OD parts.
Edit: ooops missed the post about the oil.
By Lord Gaga - 5 Years Ago
I would rebuild the column shift 'control' on the steering column and replace all bushings and worn parts on the linkage and shift arms. The interlock mechanism on the side cover, thehttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9633decd-733c-45c3-8ff6-5c26.jpg shift forks along with the http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ac33e802-9859-4e7f-9d0e-eef5.jpg2nd and 3rd slider need to be carefully inspected. I've rebuilt a few T-85 Overdrives.