Profile Picture

How do I hard wire the overdrive system ?

Posted By Tim Quinn 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
As mentioned, I'm bypassing the kick down switch and want to know how
to hard wire the solenoid and governor.
What  hot wires goes to the solenoid or does it go to the governor ?
Please HELP....
Tim, Central Fla
9310alloy
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)Turbocharged (65 reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago

Not a fan of modifying OD wiring. The B/W factory wiring circuit works fantastic & fool proof. You will cause damage if you forget to turn off power to the solenoid & attempt to take off. The governor is the system safety control.
62bigwindow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Why are you disabling the kickdown switch? I have a T85 OD in my car and I love this feature.

Durham Missouri
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Why don't you make the O/D system work as it should?  It's not that difficult.  Your car will be worth more if it works.  My TBird has a T86 with O/D and I love it.   The danger in what you are doing is forgetting to disable the O/D and putting power to the tranny from a start. As noted earlier, you will blow the sun gear which is expensive and hard to find.  Here are a few links that will tell you what you want to know.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/overdrive.htm

https://www.tbirdranch.com/diagrams/5760oddiag.gif

https://fifthaveinternetgarage.blogspot.com/2017/01/borg-warner-r-10-and-r-11-overdrives.html

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
I had to do away with the O.D. kick down switch in my ’55 when I upgraded to an electronic ignition.  That car has been converted to 12 volts.  The last thing that new ignition wanted was to be shorted out to momentarily kill the engine so it could drop out of overdrive.  Voltage surges with many of the add on electronic ignitions is a big No No as those surges do damage the sensitive electronics within them.

While my overdrive does still incorporate the governor to allow it to drop out at low speed, I do have toggle switch that will allow me to manually disengage the solenoid at speed and drop back to standard gearing in the event I need to.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Gene Purser
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

The above warnings and comments aside, You CAN wire the soleniod directly by connecting a large (at least # 12) wire to a hot source through a 30 amp switch to the large wire on the solenoid. It would be best to wire it to the starter soleniod through a relay triggered by the ignition switch. You could then use a lighter duty switch in the trigger wire. 
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Gene,
First of all, thanks for your in put.
Second, the kick down switch was not working, it broke away from the firewall. I had already
used a toggle switch to turn on and off the system. Also I eliminated the "OVERDRIVE CABLE"
because it was not installed properly. There is a heavy spring on the overdrive arm on the back
of the tranny.
Just got back from a round trip from St Pete Beach to the Detroit area. Over 2,500 miles and
the OD worked perfectly.
Attached is how the kickdown switch was bypassed.
Thanks again,
Tim
West Coast, FL 33706
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Ted,
There is a toggle switch for the OD and there is also an electronic ignition in the '56 Crown.
The kick down switch was not mounted to the fire wall. Somehow it broke away and was just hanging down from the relay switch . It could have been causing the OD to fail.
Just got back from over 2500 mile trip and had no problems with the OD.
Got almost 22 miles to the gallon at 70 mph
Always appreciate you input...THANKS
Tim
West Coast, FL 33706
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Gene,
Here is how I wired the OD system
Attachments
Scan0009.pdf (246 views, 246.00 KB)
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Hey Florida Phil,
The OD was working just fine..........drove over 2,500 miles at 70 mph and got almost 22 mpg.
Right now the OD system is working with out the "OVERDRIVE" cable or kick down switch. 
There is a toggle switch in between the ignition and the relay box. 
There is a heavy spring that keeps the OD arm in overdrive at all times. Nothing happens until the toggle switch is in an 'ON' position and the car is going over 28 miles per hour.
The kick down switch had broken away from the fire wall and was just hanging by the wires from 
the relay box......it was not working......so by pass it.
Did so and everything seems to be working fine. Will take Ted's advice and turn off the toggle 
switch when not in OD at less than 28 mph.
We live on the West Coast of Florida, St Pete Beach....where are you?
Tim
Central Florida
West Coast 33706

Reading This Topic

Site Meter