How do I hard wire the overdrive system ?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic147930.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Tim Quinn - 5 Years Ago
As mentioned, I'm bypassing the kick down switch and want to know how
to hard wire the solenoid and governor.
What  hot wires goes to the solenoid or does it go to the governor ?
Please HELP....
Tim, Central Fla
By 9310alloy - 5 Years Ago

Not a fan of modifying OD wiring. The B/W factory wiring circuit works fantastic & fool proof. You will cause damage if you forget to turn off power to the solenoid & attempt to take off. The governor is the system safety control.
By 62bigwindow - 5 Years Ago
Why are you disabling the kickdown switch? I have a T85 OD in my car and I love this feature.
By Florida_Phil - 5 Years Ago
Why don't you make the O/D system work as it should?  It's not that difficult.  Your car will be worth more if it works.  My TBird has a T86 with O/D and I love it.   The danger in what you are doing is forgetting to disable the O/D and putting power to the tranny from a start. As noted earlier, you will blow the sun gear which is expensive and hard to find.  Here are a few links that will tell you what you want to know.

http://www.fordification.com/tech/overdrive.htm

https://www.tbirdranch.com/diagrams/5760oddiag.gif

https://fifthaveinternetgarage.blogspot.com/2017/01/borg-warner-r-10-and-r-11-overdrives.html

By Ted - 5 Years Ago
I had to do away with the O.D. kick down switch in my ’55 when I upgraded to an electronic ignition.  That car has been converted to 12 volts.  The last thing that new ignition wanted was to be shorted out to momentarily kill the engine so it could drop out of overdrive.  Voltage surges with many of the add on electronic ignitions is a big No No as those surges do damage the sensitive electronics within them.

While my overdrive does still incorporate the governor to allow it to drop out at low speed, I do have toggle switch that will allow me to manually disengage the solenoid at speed and drop back to standard gearing in the event I need to.
By Gene Purser - 5 Years Ago
The above warnings and comments aside, You CAN wire the soleniod directly by connecting a large (at least # 12) wire to a hot source through a 30 amp switch to the large wire on the solenoid. It would be best to wire it to the starter soleniod through a relay triggered by the ignition switch. You could then use a lighter duty switch in the trigger wire. 
Gene,
First of all, thanks for your in put.
Second, the kick down switch was not working, it broke away from the firewall. I had already
used a toggle switch to turn on and off the system. Also I eliminated the "OVERDRIVE CABLE"
because it was not installed properly. There is a heavy spring on the overdrive arm on the back
of the tranny.
Just got back from a round trip from St Pete Beach to the Detroit area. Over 2,500 miles and
the OD worked perfectly.
Attached is how the kickdown switch was bypassed.
Thanks again,
Tim
West Coast, FL 33706
Ted,
There is a toggle switch for the OD and there is also an electronic ignition in the '56 Crown.
The kick down switch was not mounted to the fire wall. Somehow it broke away and was just hanging down from the relay switch . It could have been causing the OD to fail.
Just got back from over 2500 mile trip and had no problems with the OD.
Got almost 22 miles to the gallon at 70 mph
Always appreciate you input...THANKS
Tim
West Coast, FL 33706
Gene,
Here is how I wired the OD system
Hey Florida Phil,
The OD was working just fine..........drove over 2,500 miles at 70 mph and got almost 22 mpg.
Right now the OD system is working with out the "OVERDRIVE" cable or kick down switch. 
There is a toggle switch in between the ignition and the relay box. 
There is a heavy spring that keeps the OD arm in overdrive at all times. Nothing happens until the toggle switch is in an 'ON' position and the car is going over 28 miles per hour.
The kick down switch had broken away from the fire wall and was just hanging by the wires from 
the relay box......it was not working......so by pass it.
Did so and everything seems to be working fine. Will take Ted's advice and turn off the toggle 
switch when not in OD at less than 28 mph.
We live on the West Coast of Florida, St Pete Beach....where are you?
Tim
Central Florida
West Coast 33706

By FORD DEARBORN - 5 Years Ago
Sounds like you needed to make an emergency repair in order to complete your long journey and you did, no harm - no foul.  Please never forget to de energize the solenoid before attempting to use reverse gear or there will be an explosion of gears in the OD section. Also, with the OD shift lever in the OD position, there will be no engine compression to keep the vehicle from rolling forward unless the parking brake is applied. Sounds like it was a very fun trip, JEFF........................
By DANIEL TINDER - 5 Years Ago
One advantage of disabling the elect. OD controls is popular with urban drivers: Namely, the ‘freewheeling’ feature (saves the clutch), the convenience of which can be quite addicting. You can always pull out the OD cable if you need engine braking, but those who typically drive with it pulled out (stock/unaltered system) seldom realize the OD control components are meanwhile still operating/wearing out.
If I had to negotiate daily stop-&-go city traffic jambs, I would likely install a toggle switch in the governor circuit.
By Lord Gaga - 5 Years Ago
On my 312 I put a Motorcraft pick-up in an Autolite distributor that triggers a stock HEI 4 pin module using the appropriate coil. 1957 T-85 O.D. factory configuration. NO problem using the kick down function! It's a big YES YES.   
Ted (9/18/2019)
I had to do away with the O.D. kick down switch in my ’55 when I upgraded to an electronic ignition.  That car has been converted to 12 volts.  The last thing that new ignition wanted was to be shorted out to momentarily kill the engine so it could drop out of overdrive.  Voltage surges with many of the add on electronic ignitions is a big No No as those surges do damage the sensitive electronics within them.

While my overdrive does still incorporate the governor to allow it to drop out at low speed, I do have toggle switch that will allow me to manually disengage the solenoid at speed and drop back to standard gearing in the event I need to.

By Florida_Phil - 5 Years Ago
I live in Eustis Florida between Orlando and Ocala.  I never understood Ford's overdrive until I got my TBird.  I am surprised at the number of people who have misconceptions about how it works.  Lots of people think the Overdrive lever under the dash activates the O/D. It's only purpose is to deactivate it. If you have never driven a Ford with O/D, you may not realize the advantages. The most obvious advantage is it allows for lower differential gears.  My car has 4.11 gears from the factory.  This helps acceleration.  The O/D drops the RPM about 1/3  at cruise speeds.

Another advantage is the ability to drive around town in second gear.   I use 2nd gear almost all the time and I don't have to use the clutch to shift up and down.  With the cam I have, second gear pulls strong.  Ford's O/D is mostly electrical.   I never use the kick down feature.  The switch is still in my car.  It can cause trouble if the switch is broken. 

Most O/D problems are caused by bad wires and connectors.  Unlike most electrical devices that are activated by putting power to a switch, O/D is activated by grounding the solenoid,  It took me a while to figure this out.  Once you do, it's easy to maintain.
By Jack Groat - 5 Years Ago
I had an OD 3 speed in my Crown Vic which I replaced with a Mustang 5 speed (5th being OD) so I have the kick-down switch under the accelerator and a relay box on the firewall which I will be glad to package up to anyone who needs them for the cost of shipping.  Contact me directly at jackgr@aol.com since communicating on this website is a little difficult.