Profile Picture

Oil pump rebuild or new

Posted By 55 GLASS TOP 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello I am in the process of rebuilding 1956 292 engine, I am presently cleaning parts and getting stuff in order for assembly. The pump on the engine was a gear type pump , I see rebuild kits are available and I was wondering if I should rebuild or go with a new pump. Thanks for any replies.

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Buy new from a reputable company.  Don't cut corners, it will cost you.   If you do the job right, the machine work alone is going to ding your wallet big time.  Why jeopardize all that work to save a couple of bucks?  Here's the pump I used in my motor.

http://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/blueprinted-melling-ford-292-312-oil-pump/

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If its gear type replace it. There are also Kits for the other Type which apparently are better Pumps but I would just replace Yours.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Thanks I was leaning towards new but I needed just a nudge. Thanks for the quick replies
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

i always take my old pump apart before i buy new.some are still like new.i only replace what needs replacing.
55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I think I am going to go with Florida Phil’s pump looks like a winner . I did take my old pump apart The gears were pitted and a bit galled .
Joe-JDC
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Summit Racing has the Sealed Power oil pump that is new for a lot less, and it is actually a Melling 42 pump.  Cheaper than the Melling, and has the 42 in the cover and tag.  Check with them if you haven't bought the pump already.   SLP-224-41123   $84.99   Joe-JDC

JDC
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Buy new from a reputable company.  Don't cut corners, it will cost you.   If you do the job right, the machine work alone is going to ding your wallet big time.  Why jeopardize all that work to save a couple of bucks?  Here's the pump I used in my motor.

http://stores.precisionoilpump...

Can't beat it ...

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/55257e47-a7f2-40eb-80ed-a5d1.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d65580ba-9adc-4c55-820b-c478.jpg

PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Our senior moderator, Ted, is not a fan of the older gear style pumps. They supply sufficient oil, but apparently aren't as efficient as the Gerrotor pumps & in some instances they have been noisy.  What you need to replace if it shows any noticeable wear, is the pump drive shaft. H.D ones are available, but I don't have the source at hand.. Someone here will know..  

Paul
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Arp make the HD shaft, part number 154-7906.  If you get one, the retaining washer will be installed on the wrong side.  You have to remove it and put it on the other side, the oil pump end of the shaft.  It's something they've been aware of for nearly 20 years but have not corrected.
This is probably what Precision Oil Pumps sell but it is possible that they make their own.

Either style of pump will be fine for a stock engine.  The gerotor does have a few advantages for performance use.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter