Profile Picture

Distributor Advance Specifications

Posted By slumlord444 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago

I have what is prety much a clone of a 322 CI 312 that Ted built a few years back and was featured in the March-April Y block magazine. Mummert heads, custom Isky cam, Sharp roller rockers, Blue Thunder Intake. Need to have my factory tach drive distriburor re built and need specs for a good advance curve. Distriburor was converted to dual points and I then installed a Pertronix III, Need advance curve advise and someone to re bush and re curve the distributor. I am running centrifical advance only. No vaccum advance.

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Assuming your camshaft is the Isky 242° @ 050 and ground on 110° lobe centers , a baseline setup for your distributor would be 24° crankshaft degrees of advance with the total timing set at no more than 38° BTDC.   All the advance should be in by 2500-2600 rpms.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

pegleg
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Ted, 
           That much total advance with Mummert heads?

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
pegleg (9/3/2019)
Ted, 
           That much total advance with Mummert heads?

Good catch Frank.  I wondered if someone was going to question that.  While I find 33-35° total optimum for full throttle performance with the aluminum heads, for street driving and especially where there is not a vacuum advance hooked up to the distributor, I’ll give it a bit more total timing.  In this instance, 38° total but no more than that to be on the safe side when doing some stop light to stop light acceleration tests

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter