Distributor Advance Specifications

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic147811.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By slumlord444 - 5 Years Ago

I have what is prety much a clone of a 322 CI 312 that Ted built a few years back and was featured in the March-April Y block magazine. Mummert heads, custom Isky cam, Sharp roller rockers, Blue Thunder Intake. Need to have my factory tach drive distriburor re built and need specs for a good advance curve. Distriburor was converted to dual points and I then installed a Pertronix III, Need advance curve advise and someone to re bush and re curve the distributor. I am running centrifical advance only. No vaccum advance.

By Ted - 5 Years Ago
Assuming your camshaft is the Isky 242° @ 050 and ground on 110° lobe centers , a baseline setup for your distributor would be 24° crankshaft degrees of advance with the total timing set at no more than 38° BTDC.   All the advance should be in by 2500-2600 rpms.
By pegleg - 5 Years Ago
Ted, 
           That much total advance with Mummert heads?
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
pegleg (9/3/2019)
Ted, 
           That much total advance with Mummert heads?

Good catch Frank.  I wondered if someone was going to question that.  While I find 33-35° total optimum for full throttle performance with the aluminum heads, for street driving and especially where there is not a vacuum advance hooked up to the distributor, I’ll give it a bit more total timing.  In this instance, 38° total but no more than that to be on the safe side when doing some stop light to stop light acceleration tests