Profile Picture

Vacuum Signal

Posted By Rono 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I'm planning on changing out the valley pan on our 56 Ranch Wagon and eliminating the road draft tube. The car runs GREAT with the original Load-a-Matic and modern Edelbrock 500 cfm carb. I hate to pull the distributor when it's running so well. The PCV port on that carb has been capped, but if I run the PCV line from the valley pan PCV valve to the port on the carb will it interfere with the vacuum advance signal to the distributor?  I am running electric wipers and a more modern fuel pump so no vacuum needs there.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
If your going to use the PCV port on the front center of the carb, and either the full or ported vacuum port to either side of it, it’s never been a problem for me. The key is the right PCV valve that does create a huge vacuum leak. Charlie has an adjustable one, and I think Steve Metzer uses a drilled orifice. I’ve never had a problem with one for a similar size engine.

You may have to do a little idle screw adjustment.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
If you use the correct ports, it will not interfere.  There is a PCV port and there are manifold and ported ports for the ignition.

However, it's not running great with the mismatch.  If you think it is currently great, put the correct distributor in and be amazed.  Timing is totally incorrect right now with the mismatch.  I'm wondering if you're kidding because I'm surprised that someone who is fairly regular here would do that.

Lawrenceville, GA
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Oops, I missed the loado comment. Charlie’s right. 57 up distributor works fine with the correct use of the ports.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

What I can tell you is that I have not touched the dizzy or the carb since we bought the wagon. It fires right up with the Lodomatic and will smoke the tires if you put your foot in it. It doesn't bog or stumble. The way my wife drives (easy-peezy) this works for her. I was always of the opinion; "if it ain't broke don't fix it". We just want to stop the oil puddle on the garage floor from the road draft tube. I have a 57 and later dizzy. When it starts running like crap I'll change it out.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Re the oil loss from the Draft tube;  The most likely reason is that the "drain back tube" on the inner side of the unit is plugged. U can unbolt it from the  block to clean the tube, or possibly clean it out with a flexible wire inserted in there, but that is very difficult to do.  Also check the gasket to block & the condition of the draft assembly.  Another contributing factor could be that the oil filler cap / breather is completely plugged up & there's also a removable filter screen in the draft unit also. Those items have been an ignored service problem for years, contributing to sludge buildup in the engines...      

Paul
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
If you have an unmodified Loadomatic distributor running with a modern Edelbrock carb in your engine, your timing advance is not working correctly.  You may be compensating for this by running more timing on your crank.  I have had many drag cars where we locked the distributor at full advance and they perform well 1/4 mile at a time. This is not something you want on a street car. Doing so could cause detonation and idling problems.  If you are happy with what you have now, I wouldn't change a thing.  If you make changes, you could be opening up a whole new can of worms.   The ultimate fix is to match the distributor and carburetor.  Better yet, replace the Loadamatic.  Some day your mismatch will become a headache.  Just my two cents.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Phil;
I agree with everything you are saying. I have no idea whet the previous owner did with respect to the distributor. It does idle fine. I have not checked the timing because I haven't had the need to. Maybe I will wait until the dizzy takes a dump and then change the valley pan and put the later distributor in. I have had the entire road draft tube assembly off the block, cleaned in my parts washer and replaced the filter element. Didn't make any difference with the oil discharge from the tube.

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I just sold a 1957 Distributor to a Guy who bought a 1956 F100 with 292. Previous Owner installed an Edelbrock  4bbl but left the Loadomatic. Now the Truck runs like it should. I changed another One last Week for another Guy for the same Reason. Beautiful 56 Victoria with 292. He had the Intake and Carb changed to get away from a Firepot that was causing all kinds of Trouble. He's been driving it for over a Year with Loadomatic. He said it ran OK but it would "Surge" at Speed which I guess was the Vacuum coming on and then cutting out when the Accelerator was increaseed.  It took some convincing to get Him to spend the Money but now it runs the way it should. I don't know how the Loadomatic works with later Carb. My understanding is they shouldn't work at all.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Gene Purser
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Two-three years ago I bought a '55 with a 272 that had been changed to a Edlebrock carb and still had the Load O Matic distributor with a pertronix module. It was set on 15 degrees initial and the vacuum advance added another 20 degrees as soon as vacuum hit it. It ran "OK" at lower RPMs but would go "pop-pop-pop" out the exhaust instead of rapping when the RPMs got higher. I immediately bought a '59 distributor for it. Now it runs great and the Smithy mufflers sound like they should.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter