Profile Picture

Blue Thunder intake manifolds

Posted By slumlord444 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
KULTULZ (8/3/2019)
... also taking the ECZ-B manifolds and converting them into ’57 blower manifolds
So basically, the SC EDB-9424-B intake is the same basic design (carb pad hgt - runner size) as the 4V ECZ-9425-B other than the carb pad design?

There is a casting difference between the EDB and ECZ-B manifolds and those differences are centered around the carburetor pad.  When I get through machining the ECZ-B manifolds for the supercharged Teapot adaptations, those manifolds end up being 3/16”-1/4” lower in height than the original supercharger intake manifolds.  Part of that lowering process comes from removing the depressions that are present on the carb flange on the ECZ-B intakes.  Those depressions are not present on the EDB manifolds.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
THANX! for that clarification John.

I too suffer from the FAT FINGER and SHORT EYEBALL SYNDROME.

... I think it may also have been a factor in my ill-fated decision to get married ...

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

There is a casting difference between the EDB and ECZ-B manifolds and those differences are centered around the carburetor pad. 

THANX! for that explanation Ted.

I wonder what Engineering's purpose was for the carb pad re-design/varation?

Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
I imagine the difference in the top of the pad was the elimination of the depressions seen on the ECZ-B.  To mount the teapot blower carb a flat surface was needed.  Also, there is a radiused depression on the side of the carb pad to give clearance for the primary throttle lever of the teapot.  Since the teapot is centered over the throttle bores, the sides of the carb are necessarily further from the edges of the manifold.  Without the depression, the throttle lever interferes with the manifold casting unless a spacer is used under the carb.  Passenger cars typically had the spacer, T-Birds did not because of hood clearance issues. 

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
i live in surrey bc north of blain,in the fall with heat riserr wired open long warmups and some icing, so my opinion is you need the exhaust heat,. you could run 1 muffler with less back pressure than the  mate that will help lots
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

To mount the teapot blower carb a flat surface was needed.  Also, there is a radiused depression on the side of the carb pad to give clearance for the primary throttle lever of the teapot

Perfect explanation John!
Really appreciated ...

pegleg
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)Supercharged (4.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Ted, I have some castings that can be welded to the carb pad on the "B" manifold and then machined to recover the 3/16" difference. I've done a half dozen repop blower intakes with them.

Frank/Rebop

Bristol, In ( by Elkhart) 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter