Blue Thunder intake manifolds

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic146799.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By slumlord444 - 5 Years Ago

Are they currently avaliable and who has them? Tried to google it and couldn't come up with anything definate. Price? From a recent post here I understand that Mummert has no intakes available at this time.

By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
Blue thunder seem to come up on eBay for a couple months at a time.  I guess a run is made, they're sold and then they're gone for a while.

I've seen them for $500-$550 there.

You can contact Blue Thunder to see if they will sell you one or can refer you to a vendor who has one.
By miker - 5 Years Ago
Here’s the BT site, it a bit funky on my iPad.  Does have a contact number.  If I have mine off again, I’ll have the slot welded up and finished as was discussed here.  

https://bluethunderauto.com/
By Joe-JDC - 5 Years Ago
Ted Eaton has access to them if they are available.  I just bought one from Ted to dyno test for our EMC engine this year.  The cost is about $550.00 with tax or shipping.  Joe-JDC
By Genuinerod - 5 Years Ago
I have a new Blue Thunder manifold that I bought from John Mummert years ago that I would sell.  The manifold was never installed and has been in a box all these years.  John was helping to develop the manifold for BT before he started making his own.  I will sell it for $400.00 plus shipping from bay area, California. 
By DANIEL TINDER - 5 Years Ago
I run my stock ‘55 manifold with the truck gasket. I wonder if Mummert’s manifold (which I recall delivers better torque) with no crossover carb heat, would suffice for norther climate/winter use? It’s non-stock appearance would be harder to take if I also end up with a carb icing issue.
I'll take it. Pm me for contact and payment info. Shipping to zip code 62254. Lebanon Illinois.
I forgot to ask, are there any hood clerance issues with the Blue Thunder on the T Birds? I know Mummert makes a lower manifold for the T Bird.
By miker - 5 Years Ago
My Blue Thunder clears the bird with either an Edelbrock or a Holley. No spacer, but I might have been able to get a short one in. Stock air cleaner, modified to fit the carb. (Teapot oilbath repop.)
By Joe-JDC - 5 Years Ago
The Blue Thunder has a Ford part number on it, and the newest casting has the firing order on it like a stock ECZ-B intake.  It has the solid divider and comes with hold down clamps, bolts, etc.  It is almost identical to the iron intake in looks and fitment, but flows an average of 278-279 cfm.  Joe-JDC
So if I paint it Ford red to match the block no one will know. Love it.
People who know will spot it but most will not know the difference.
Thats my plan. The average person at a car show or cruise in wouldn't have a clue. Anyone who realy knows T Birds or Y Blocks will catch it. The most unusual thing I ever saw on a T Bird back in the '70's was Louis Eminger's pink '57 Bird that had a hood with no hood scoop. It actually took me a little while to figrue out what was wrong with it. Her husband had been an executive with Ford and the hood was a one off that Ford had thoughts of using on the '57's.
The comment was made that the current Blue Thunder manifolds have the firing order like the factory B manifolds and the earlier ones don't have the firing order on them. Per the T Bird Club restoration manual the firing order was not on the manifolds untill Feb-Mar 1957 and most Feb maniflods did not have the firing order. The original intake off of my '57 did not have the firing order on it so I apparently got lucky by coming up with the Blue Thunder without the firing order numbers. Some days you get lucky, some days luck gets you.
The firing order must be a relatively new addition to the Blue Thunder.  I haven't seen one with it, yet.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
The firing order was added to what I will call the Version 4 Blue Thunder intake manifold.  Those have been available for about seven months now.  The firing order addition was the only change between the Version 3 and Version 4 manifolds.  There is a Version 5 in the works which is going to include a planned plenum change.
By PF Arcand - 5 Years Ago
Daniel T ;  If you think U might run into icing problems, best stay with a Blue Thunder.  Besides, Mummert is out of stock of manifolds & has indicated it may be months to get them. If your going from a '55 intake, even a 57- B intake has more upper end potential. And with a Die grinder & tools & the right approach, they can be altered to perform better, if that works for U?. Doing that may have been described here at some point ?.  But, was described in some detail in Y-block magazine, issue #140 not long ago.    
By PF Arcand - 5 Years Ago
Re 57- "B" intakes with or without the Firing Order cast on them. My intake which was bought used in western Canada, does have the firing order on it. What it was on originally I don't know & it's installed, so it's  likely difficult to check all the factory marks on it now ?.   
I'm in the process of installing the Blue Thunder on my '57 Bird. Replacing my E dual quad setup. Heater bypass hose was abour 1/2" too short. Any idea why?
The thermostat flange would have to be about 1/2 farther back vs the E manifold, if nothing else was changed.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
PF Arcand (8/2/2019)
Re 57- "B" intakes with or without the Firing Order cast on them. My intake which was bought used in western Canada, does have the firing order on it. What it was on originally I don't know & it's installed, so it's  likely difficult to check all the factory marks on it now ?.

The casting date is located on the manifold top behind the carburetor flange which helps to at least identify the year model the intake manifold was produced for.  The newer cast ECZ-B manifolds (1960 and newer?) will not have the heated choke tube running through the heated crossover section.  There were a large number of those 4V manifolds used on the big truck line and are almost identical to the ones used on the cars.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/1d05a4a7-a581-4b31-b7fa-92d9.jpg 

By Ted - 5 Years Ago
slumlord444 (8/2/2019)
I'm in the process of installing the Blue Thunder on my '57 Bird. Replacing my E dual quad setup. Heater bypass hose was abour 1/2" too short. Any idea why?

Assuming you are using the same thermostat housing and did not alter the water pump spacing, the bypass hose length should not have changed.

By Cliff - 5 Years Ago
Where did you get all the blower manifolds?
Ted, same thermostat housing and no change on the water pump spacing. Makes no sense to me but I had to make a new hose 1/2" longer to make it fit and seal. I'm running Mummert heads and had the E manifold on it with the same thermostat housing. I don't have a clue.
By stuey - 5 Years Ago
    shrinkflation  ?

By Ted - 5 Years Ago
Cliff (8/2/2019)
Where did you get all the blower manifolds?

Good eye.  That picture was quick and easy for showing the casting dates.  I do end up repairing a number of manifolds and also taking the ECZ-B manifolds and converting them into ’57 blower manifolds.  Not all of those in the pictures are original blower manifolds.  The original blower intake manifolds are definitely worth the trouble of repairing simply due to those having the correct casting numbers.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fe148760-ed9a-4f6c-90f4-53da.jpg 
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
... also taking the ECZ-B manifolds and converting them into ’57 blower manifolds

So basically, the SC EDB-9424-B intake is the same basic design (carb pad hgt - runner size) as the 4V ECZ-9425-B other than the carb pad design?
By Hoosier Hurricane - 5 Years Ago
I remember from a long time ago that I once measured from the carb pad to the floor of the plenum on both an EDB-F and an ECZ-B.  I found 3/16 inch difference, but don't remember which was taller.  I didn't pursue it any further to see if the carb pad heights were the same or if the plenum depth was the difference.
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
I once measured from the carb pad to the floor of the plenum on both an EDB-F and an ECZ-B

That's interesting. You post EDB-F for your SC intake and JOHN MUMMERT lists it as EDB-9424-B. There were more than one casting do you think?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4e3e1e2f-2f0d-4cd1-b81a-9fc5.jpg
Who put the D and the F next to each other on the keyboard?  I meant to type EDB-D.  That's the casting number accepted by NHRA back in the stocker days.  That's what I have on my manifolds, and was on two others that I actually saw.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
KULTULZ (8/3/2019)
... also taking the ECZ-B manifolds and converting them into ’57 blower manifolds
So basically, the SC EDB-9424-B intake is the same basic design (carb pad hgt - runner size) as the 4V ECZ-9425-B other than the carb pad design?

There is a casting difference between the EDB and ECZ-B manifolds and those differences are centered around the carburetor pad.  When I get through machining the ECZ-B manifolds for the supercharged Teapot adaptations, those manifolds end up being 3/16”-1/4” lower in height than the original supercharger intake manifolds.  Part of that lowering process comes from removing the depressions that are present on the carb flange on the ECZ-B intakes.  Those depressions are not present on the EDB manifolds.

By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
THANX! for that clarification John.

I too suffer from the FAT FINGER and SHORT EYEBALL SYNDROME.

... I think it may also have been a factor in my ill-fated decision to get married ...
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
There is a casting difference between the EDB and ECZ-B manifolds and those differences are centered around the carburetor pad. 

THANX! for that explanation Ted.

I wonder what Engineering's purpose was for the carb pad re-design/varation?
I imagine the difference in the top of the pad was the elimination of the depressions seen on the ECZ-B.  To mount the teapot blower carb a flat surface was needed.  Also, there is a radiused depression on the side of the carb pad to give clearance for the primary throttle lever of the teapot.  Since the teapot is centered over the throttle bores, the sides of the carb are necessarily further from the edges of the manifold.  Without the depression, the throttle lever interferes with the manifold casting unless a spacer is used under the carb.  Passenger cars typically had the spacer, T-Birds did not because of hood clearance issues. 
By 2721955meteor - 5 Years Ago
i live in surrey bc north of blain,in the fall with heat riserr wired open long warmups and some icing, so my opinion is you need the exhaust heat,. you could run 1 muffler with less back pressure than the  mate that will help lots
By KULTULZ - 5 Years Ago
To mount the teapot blower carb a flat surface was needed.  Also, there is a radiused depression on the side of the carb pad to give clearance for the primary throttle lever of the teapot

Perfect explanation John!
Really appreciated ...

By pegleg - 5 Years Ago
Ted, I have some castings that can be welded to the carb pad on the "B" manifold and then machined to recover the 3/16" difference. I've done a half dozen repop blower intakes with them.