Profile Picture

Fuel Filter Question

Posted By Rono 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
I am running an in-line, see through glass fuel filter with threaded end caps and an Edlebrock high flow (FE) fuel pump. At idle I can see the fuel in the filter is surging,  is not steady and the filter does not stay full. Is this normal? Also, idle does not stay even but I'm not sure that this is fuel related.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Talkwrench
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Not long ago I read something about these type of filters, Cant remember exactly but it wasn't good. The fuel probably eats the sealing washers?? try something else.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
Daniel Jessup
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Rono (6/30/2019)
I am running an in-line, see through glass fuel filter with threaded end caps and an Edlebrock high flow (FE) fuel pump. At idle I can see the fuel in the filter is surging,  is not steady and the filter does not stay full. Is this normal? Also, idle does not stay even but I'm not sure that this is fuel related.

Rono, you may want to visit this post here on my website:
https://www.hotrodreverend.com/single-post/2019/06/05/1955-Ford-Part-78-The-Switch-from-Edelbrock-to-Holley
I have been having heat soak issues because of the ethanol fuel and I am afraid the only cure is going to be ethanol free fuel. I went ahead and installed a glass filter you like you describe (full picture is in the link above), and discovered that whenever the engine was not up to operating temperature, the filter would be mostly full, no bubbles, no surging. (I could run up to about 130 or so on my temp gauge and be fine, cut off the engine, wait an hour, come back and crank it up to see a fuel filter still full, even after driving for 5 minutes or so.) 

I have been out of town for a while and have not been able to do any testing, but hopefully with the 4th coming up and 90+ heat this week I can get back to it. So far with the Holley I installed, I am not having quite the heat soak issues I had with the Edelbrock (also using a 1" phenolic spacer) but I still have to crank at WOT to get the car to start after it has sat for a few minutes when it has been running at operating temperature.

I bought 20 gallons of pure gasoline and will be looking to drain my tank and fill it up with that gas this week to test my theory. For now, I have a Wix 33032 installed, but will go back to the glass for the testing.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
This is normal, it is relative to the RPM's.............the higher the RPM's the faster the cam lobe for the fuel pump turns and pumps more fuel.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter