Profile Picture

Drum brakes and mountain roads

Posted By LordMrFord 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 days ago
This is from a truck site, and the term “snub braking” wasn’t used then. But this is how I was taught to use drum brakes on a long downhill run. It was also how they taught the bus drivers on the hills of Seattle. Back in the 60’s, when disc were a new deal and not on most vehicles.

I’ve also made the mistake of trying to use racing linings on disc on the street. Cold, they don’t work all that well.

http://www.dieselhub.com/towing/snub-braking.html

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
My dad was a multi million mile truck driver starting in the 1930's and on into the 60's. He lived through a period of the expansion of the trucking industry and the development of brakes to match. He taught me the "snub" brake method although he never called it that. I've used it all my life including years of towing travel trailer and car trailers. I've had hot brakes but they have never failed. With larger trailers I've always had trailer brakes and use them in conjunction with the vehicle brakes to assist in braking. The snub braking works for me. Reducing gears at the top of the hill is also a requirement that isn't mentioned in the article. For long declines it is a life saver. I've pulled trailers through the mountains of Colorado and California without any problems this way.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
montana ford man
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)Supercharged (286 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I’ve driven truck since 1974 and about 25 years in a logging truck. When going down hill in the mountains just drop the transmission into a lower gear and let the compression do the braking. If you ride the brakes,they will get hot and start fading until you dont have any braking anymore.in your situation I wouldnt worry, your car should be more than adequate to handle any mountain roads. Unless you are pulling a heavy trailer ,your car is just fine.btw Ive never drove a big truck that didnt have drum brakes.
PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
It doesn't appear that anyone makes a complete front disc brake kit for mid 50's Fords. Still requires searching around in Salvage Yard for some parts.  In the case of '57 cars, the 14" wheels also create a road block. Read that kits that fit the original wheels have small inadequate calipers.. So, now the wheels (& tires?) have to be replaced also... Anyone here know different?   

Paul
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
At least for the 54-56 Fords, there are aftermarket disc brake kits available.  I know the Tbird suppliers carry them for the 55-57 Birds, which have the same front end as the 54-56 sedans.  There is a company in Connecticut that has kits for just about every Ford ever made.  Engineered Components Inc (ECI)

PF Arcand (7/10/2019)
It doesn't appear that anyone makes a complete front disc brake kit for mid 50's Fords. Still requires searching around in Salvage Yard for some parts.  In the case of '57 cars, the 14" wheels also create a road block. Read that kits that fit the original wheels have small inadequate calipers.. So, now the wheels (& tires?) have to be replaced also... Anyone here know different?   

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Rono
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

I have an ECI under floor Brake and clutch set-up on my 37 Ford coupe project and it is a quality set-up. I also have Drop and Stop disk brake set-ups on both my 56 wagon and 56 Customline. Yes, these kits do use Granada spindles that are reamed out to accept your stock tie rod ends, but they work just fine in my opinion. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Several years ago I helped put a 14” wheel disc brake kit on my buddy’s 56 Nomad. Wheels, brakes, etc. are pretty much the same for 50’s cars. The disc and calipers are noticeably smaller than 15” for obvious reasons. They work just fine on a street car, given the car is mostly used empty, and doesn’t tow a trailer. They might work fine under those conditions, I don’t know. But for street driving, even with a lot more power than stock, they’ll lock the front brakes for a panic stop. He’s running a little more wheel and tire than stock, and new radials. He was happy.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
PF Arcand
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Miker: Interesting, because another source warned me away from the small "foreign" calipers to fit 14" wheels. Said they were disappointed in their performance... I've forgotten, are Granada/Monarch wheels for front Discs  14" ?..  In my opinion (for what that's worth) the old brake shop practice of always turning drums with every brake job was in many cases unnecessary. If they weren't scored, simply deglazing them would likely have been just fine.. 

Paul
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Paul, like I said it was several years ago and the brakes were part of a complete front end rebuild. New A arm bushings, the works. If I were to guess, I’d say the calipers were probably the GM “metric” style, small ones. As was mentioned above, the pads that come with the kit can be a big difference in performance. That was true when I did the front on my bird back in 1999.

These worked out fine, and a Nomad isn’t a light weight car.

Back in my younger days I was told that if I was making a lot of panic stops and having fade problems, it was a driving problem not a brake problem.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
...are Granada/Monarch wheels for front Discs  14" ?

The GRANADA/MONARCH had 14" wheels.
What you have to watch for is rotor size. The 6-cyl used 10" while the 8-cyl used 11".

Reading This Topic

Site Meter