Profile Picture

FLEXPLATE SERVICE DETAILS

Posted By KULTULZ 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 days ago
Gentlemen,

The 1955 and 1956 FYB FOM flex-plate was replaced by the 1957 flex-plate, B7A 6375-A for service, The 1957 flex-plate includes three reinforcement rings (B9AZ 6A366-A). I cannot find any service info as to how theses rings are placed.

Does anyone know or have the service information as how the flex-plate and rings are assembled in correct sequence to the crank flange?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/02c978ed-b898-43fc-aa6c-cc1e.png

It must have been released in a period SERVICE LETTER.

oldmics?

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
The 2 Replacements I have used had the Rings used as Spacers between the Bolts and the Flexplate. Because the replacement is much Thinner than the Original the Bolts may catch on the Block if not spaced back using the Rings. I assume they also act as a re-inforcement for the centre of the Flexplate. Repro Flex Plates are sold by Aftermarket Sellers like Macs etc. Look the same as the One pictured.'

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 5 days ago
The earlier flex plates were about ¼” thick.  While I’ve never seen a service memo regarding the thinner replacement plates, gut feel says to put the replacement flex plate directly on the flywheel flange with the three ‘reinforcement rings’ on top of the plate.  No rings are installed between the flywheel flange and the flex plate as this could potentially make a stress riser on engine side of the plate besides also creating a situation where there’s not enough free play in the torque converter.  As Mark mentions, the additional reinforcement rings would simply keep the flywheel bolts from being excessively long and contacting the rear seal retainer on the block thus creating other problems.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
When I purchased One from Macs there were no Instructions. I contacted Macs and the answer I got was they go on the outside and act as Spacers because the Original Bolts are re-used. I never tried but I don't think the Spacers will even go over the Crank Flange if You tried to use them between Flex Plate and Crank Flange.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Thank you guys but I am looking for exact FORD info (as in a service letter).

These are not so-much spacers but reinforcing rings/plates to prevent the thinner 1957 flex-plate from center shearing. It seems to me also that the flex-plate should be sandwiched with the minimum of one ring @ the CS flange and the other two @ the outer side on the plate.

The placement of these rings will also assure correct placement of the convertor assy to the front pump and possibly the RG to the starter drive. This is a 1957 design retro-fitted to the previous years 1955/1956.

There may have been a SERVICE SHEET in the original B7A 6375-A for earlier retro-fit. Most likely it was a SERVICE LETTER advising of the change and proper assembly.

An aftermarket kit most likely would not have included that info (IMO)

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/010cb1c7-df1d-4b0c-9062-2ab5.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/64c6a1d2-6069-48b6-891d-087e.jpg

1958 flex-plate showing center hub tear-out.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Found this S/B  and though it is not referenced to the up-grade service kit you are looking for, it does state where the reinforcing plate (BrA-6383-A) is to be located and why.  I'll keep looking, hope this helps, JEFF........................http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fc34ee5c-60d1-4022-910d-f825.jpg

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

You are a good man! I owe you a beer (or 12).

There must also be a later update as the later PN (B7A 6375-A) included the three rings.

That letter would (should) give info why the single reinf plate design was replaced by the three reinf rings and the retro-fit to the 55 and 56.

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

I agree with the folks above in regards to the longer bolts use on the 55 & 56's therefore requiring the additional 2 spacers. The bulletin I found is in reference to the new design in production 1957 which had the proper length (shorter) bolts for the later design. Just my $.02  If I do find the bulletin pertaining to the 55 56 upgrade, you'll be the 2nd to know.  Some day, you may fing me at your door and very thirsty.....................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I really appreciate your efforts and I will leave a porch light on ... http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/drink/popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Sounds good but maybe I'll take the 12 and we'll give to the others on this great forum.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500

Reading This Topic

Site Meter