Profile Picture

Installed Aero Star coil springs

Posted By Tim Quinn 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I was advised to replace stock springs with Aero Star springs.
WOW, what a great move, lowered the front just enought
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 days ago
Hows the Ride!  Did U have to lower the rear to Match Height?  Shocks still fit?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I've thought about doing this myself.  I would be interested to know if the ride quality changes? 

My TBird is setup more like a 60s muscle car.  Instead of lowering the front, I raised the back.  I think it looks better with the big tires and the dog dish hub caps.  I get lots of comments.  It's definitely different.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e1de1d9d-6a83-4d87-a0d9-da8f.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

MplsMike
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Hi Tim,

What car do you have? I installed the Aerostar springs too - generally like the look and ride but I think the stock shocks now bottom out. So my question is like oldercarmark’s on your shock setup.

MplsMike
'56 Parklane
Minneapolis, MN
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
When I put the Aerostar springs on my bird I didn’t cut bump stops. So presumably they work before the shocks bottom and take the load. I did replace them though. I don’t have a problem bottoming out, the progressive winding of the spring takes car of that.

At least one member here used them with the Granda spindles and found out the car was too low and took them out. There’s also some spacers used by the Mustang guys (4” nominal diameter, varying thicknesses) that you could use to raise it up a bit.

I love them, and wouldn’t hesitate to use them with or without the spacers.

I had a bird in the 60’s set up like yours Phil. Up in back, dog dish on oem wheels. I still like ‘em that way.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I considered putting custom wheels on my Bird for a long time.  I get so many good comments on the dog dish hub caps, that I decided to keep them.  People always ask me what motor is in the car?  I tell them a 292 and they look confused.  Rolleyes

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

I used the spacers on the lower A frame to lower my front. A friend has done the Aerostar springs and does not like it. Has problems bottoming out. Are there different length shocks that fix it?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Talkwrench
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I had to replace the shocks on mine... Cant say Im the biggest fan of the Aerostar.. Ermm

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Shouldn't stock shocks allow for instances of full compression of stock suspension?  If so, then why would lowering springs require shorter shocks since the suspension will still be stopped by snubbers at the same minimum compression?

Either way, it shouldn't be a huge deal.  Many of the shock manufacturers have catalogs you can view online that can be used to find a shock with the necessary  requirements, for a similar vehicle.

Lawrenceville, GA
kevink1955
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

I am almost ready to do the Aerostar springs and Versales spindles (same as granda) on my 56 Fairlane
Can anyone tell me how far this combo lowers the front end.

I could do with 2 inches, any more I would use doughnut spacers but how thick a spacer?, looking at the spring location it looks to me that a 1 inch spacer would raise the car more than 1 inch, any idea how much spacer (if any) i would need??

Some have said that the springs really do help the ride and handling and I already have them and the spindles just want to make sure I am doing the right thing

Reading This Topic

Site Meter