Profile Picture

Installed Aero Star coil springs

Posted By Tim Quinn 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Both the Aerostar springs and the Versailles spindles will lower the car from 1.5" to 2" each. Rob Bolson in Canada did that and had to change it. Was way too low in the front. These are the ones I used they sell them on EBAY. 

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I did the Aerostars on my 56 3 years ago this month. They are compound wound so there is definitely a different ride. A dip in the road will cause a lot of front end "bottom out" thinking but I doubt mine has ever hit the stops. The stock shocks have been fine. From Summit I bought urathane spacers for a Toyota pickup because I didn't want it too low.
It wasn't level so I ended up with a 1/2" on one side an 3/8" on the other. Mine is right at 2" which is what I wanted.
I might have looked at the A-arm spacers I had known about it.
Remember to have your front end realigned. I love the front end lower look. It doesn't have a "stance" (BS word) it has a "rake".

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Genuinerod
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
That is one Bitchin' lookin Ford.
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Some really like the Aerostar springs, others not so much. But how low is too low varies with driving style, road conditions and taste. Over on the HAMB, there’s write ups on many other vehicles using them, and guys who think a pack of cigarettes is ground clearance under the frame.

On the birds, the engine placement plays into this. On my bird I had to cut the original springs to get the car level. Aluminum intake, front cover, headers, all took enough weight off the front to make the car raise up. When I put the Aerostar’s in, it didn’t lower me as much as some, and probably not as much as a passenger car. I can feel a real difference in the ride from the progressive rate. It’s much smoother on light bumps than the oem springs, stock or cut. But when I hit a big bump it firms right up, and there’s no “polishing” where the bump stops hit. So I’m not getting into them often.

The combined drop of the lower spindles and the shorter springs seems to be too much for most of the members here. How that plays with a spacer(s) in a passenger car is beyond my experience. Because the spring is in the middle of the A arm pivot, you’re right that it’s not a 1:1 ratio on the spacer. It’s going to be something more than the spacer. If you measure from the frame pivot point to the spindle and then measure to the center of the spring, you should be able to approximate it. I’d end up with cardboard and rulers, but if Greenbird56 was around, he could probably give you the ratio. Maybe someone else will chime in.

How low, ride, roads, are all subjective and hard to communicate.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
kevink1955
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Thanks Miker

Thats my style "Cardboard and rulers"

I have a little time before I do this,  Keep it coming, can never have to much info
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
The Aero Star coil springs were installed on my '56 Crown along with a new pair of stock shocks.
As of this week, I like the ride and handling especially the lower front end. Also, replaced all the rubber
grommets in the front stabilizer bar.  Have not touched the rear springs, kinda like the way it looks and rides.
The new coil springs seem to give a more cushy ride kinda smoother with a little more bounce. All in all, HAPPY CAMPER.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/01fd06e5-ae2a-4a03-8186-e43b.jpg
MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

With the  A frame bolt on I pictured above I've had no problem with bottoming out. After installing I had my alignment checked and it hadn't changed at all. I no engineer but I wonder if just lowering the position of the bottom A frame kept everything straight. I even know a trick to put them in without removing the A frame. The only bottoming out problem I had was on the rear with 3" lowering blocks. Drive shaft would hit the tunnel on a hard bump. Went to 2" and that went away. I know the angle doesn't show well on the grass but you can definitely see that Vicky sets low. Also no ground scraping except on the occasional oversize speed bumps.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ef756168-8dae-47b7-92ea-ec66.jpg

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Tim Quinn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)Supercharged (633 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
That is next, 2" lowering blocks
Tim
Hot 'n Humid, Fl 33706http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/cd135aee-18d2-4ee1-93d4-ad57.jpg
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Are these front or rear Aerostar Springs U used? what Manufacturer did U use? There's about 3 different Suppliers that sell them. Just wondering for future Reference.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

IMO u don't need lowering blocks in the rear...just give it a little time and it will settle that much. As I remember our 55 Convert and 56 Vic both took a couple of years to drop about 2".

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter