Profile Picture

bearing or bushing

Posted By emtdude56 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
does any body recall if a 56f100 292 takes a pilot bearing or bushing in the end of the crank
also maybe a part number  its been a long time since I had one apart thanks
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 4 hours ago
It would have been a bronze bushing originally.  A bearing can work.  I wouldn't recommend it as there is no benefit but if you must, use a  sealed, maintenance free bearing.  Reason being that you can't lubricate it regularly, as bearings require and if it seizes, it may damage the input shaft.  Been there, done that on another brand engine.

Lawrenceville, GA
Gene Purser
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)Supercharged (496 reputation)

Since the inner diameter of the bearing doesn't turn on the input shaft it is prone to seize to the shaft, making removal of the transmission difficult. For this reason I prefer the bushing. Besides, there is no horsepower to gain from a bearing. 
emtdude56
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)Supercharged (139 reputation)

thanks very much big help
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
all the heavy trucks with the steel crank use a bearing.all ive seen at any rate.
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
My preference is the bronze bushing.  I had a pilot bearing in my 427 Ford wtth a Top Loader and that bearing seized to the input shaft which made the transmission a bear to remove as the car had a scattershield.  The V10 in my truck came factory supplied with the pilot bearing and those were failing at 20K mile intervals.  The grease was essentially being cooked out of them.  I machined a bronze bushing to go in that spot and its now been over 80K miles without issue.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter