Profile Picture

Questions on 2x4 Holley 4000 setup...

Posted By Daniel Jessup 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 hours ago
Are there any companies that make, or did make, an aftermarket air cleaner for the Holley 4000? specifically looking for the air cleaner that would sit separately on top of each carburetor in a 2x4 configuration.

Are there any Ford manuals on the carburetors and/or adjustments from the 56 over the counter kits or maybe a 57 manual? (only two years it was offered I assume)

What options are there on linkage?

thanks!

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
IIRC, there was some discussion about these a while back. Seems to me they could provide a taller element to work on the teapot. Maybe jog someone else’s memory. For linkage, try Charlie Price at Vintage Speed. Florida Phil has his tri power set up.

https://www.spotlitekustomaccessories.com/store/c5/Air_Cleaners.html

All of its kind of pricey. I must be getting old and am forgetting every thing is these days.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
You can find vintage Holley and Ford manuals on eBay.  I haven't come across any that specifically cover 2x4's, though.  They're either hard to find or maybe it is assumed that a '56 Holley 4000 manual for a single carb application is adequate.

You can see some examples of those manuals in my Edelbrock 573 thread, but for the Holley 94 family of carbs, http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic142188.aspx.  In my master parts catalog, I didn't see anything listed for the '57 2x4s or supercharged cars.  I think I did see something regarding a power pack for an earlier year, which I think is 2x4s.

Lawrenceville, GA
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Daniel Jessup (4/24/2019)

Are there any companies that make, or did make, an aftermarket air cleaner for the Holley 4000? specifically looking for the air cleaner that would sit separately on top of each carburetor in a 2x4 configuration.
What options are there on linkage?

Here’s a link to a past thread showing the Spotlite air cleaners on a dual quad setup with Teapot carbs.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost130056.aspx

And here are some other air cleaner options.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost119115.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Daniel Jessup
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

thanks Ted - those photos and other information seem to be buried within posts not really referring to the air cleaners. Appreciate it.

I have 9-10 Holley 4000s lying around and picked up a 2x4 9424D manifold the other day. It may be a head scratcher for me, but I would like to see if I can build a "matched" set of 4000s to install and make operational. It is my understanding that Ford had specific List numbers for those 4000s from the factory as they came to the dealer/on the car as a set to work together. Are there any manuals out there that would refer to that setup and tune? Charlie seems to be taking the right track in gathering all available info before he tackles a 3x2, so... I thought I would be wise to follow his lead. Tongue

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

30 coupe
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)Supercharged (306 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Daniel, ck with Sal over on the Ford Barn late V8 forum. he built a matched pair of 4000's for me that duplicate the 2x4 carb set up. he does great work. I have not installed the new eng. with this set-up in my car yet. have had some health issues the last 2 years and thing are going slow.  I am sure he can help and would probably be able to answer some questions.
DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Sounds like your really wanting the Holley 4000's so remember to do Teds revision to allow them or one of them to be used with the 57 or later distributor. If you are staying with the Loadmatic I believe that's why the Dual Quad ones had different #'s so it would all still work and give the proper performance especially in the 1956 over the Ford parts counter Power Package.
It was one of the reasons I chose the matching Carter WCFB's on mine. I like  the Hellings and Stellings air cleaners but the Edel 257 carb centers make it a problem. Good Luck with your project.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Daniel Jessup
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks fellas, good leads, all. Will check into things further.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

tnswt
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (10 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I purchased the K&N E-3402 round air filter for the 2x4 application on the 57 TBird last year.  They sit beautifully under the oval air cleaner, and at just the right height.  

These are pricy, but washable and reusable.  I've washed, dried and oiled mine several times now and I'm very satisfied with them.  
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
There should be no need to wash them several times a year.  They advertise that they are good for something like 50000 miles.  I don't know that I would wait that long, either.

I had one for about 10 years that I never cleaned but I also made sure with K&N that it was more than adequate for the required air flow of the engine.  They do look better cleaned and freshly oiled, though.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter