Profile Picture

Oil mods

Posted By MattsY 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Good morning all! I've chosen a machine shop to do the work in my Y and in my "poking" around I came across the mod to get full oil pressure at the rockers and the .060" hole in front behind the cam plate for the timing chain. I was planning on dropping off the block, crank, etc to the shop on Monday, but before I do, I'm looking for opinions on these mods....worth it? Necessary? Also, with the hole drilled behind the cam plate is it necessary to fab up the little sheet metal thingy? Thank you all for your thoughts and time!
Lord Gaga
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)Supercharged (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Don't forget about lubricating the distributor gear.

"FREE SAMPLE"
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I am far from being a professional engine builder, but I have built a number of engines in my day.  I recommend buying a copy of the book of "The Ford Y-Block Origin-Maintenace-Rebuild" by James Eickman.  I am sure it's available.   It's an old book, but very useful.

The area around the thrust plate needs your attention.  I have always cut slits in the back of the plate as the book shows.  Do a test assembly and make sure you have enough cam end play.  These engines are old.  Many of them have mismatched parts.  My current engine was a total Frankenstein.  You don't want to go to all that expense and trouble and find out you have a problem like that.

There are a number of ways to improve oil flow to the rockers.  My engine has a new Isky cam.  I put my cam in a lathe and cut the center grove to .030" deep.  I almost have too much oil.  In my case, I left the rocker tubes as they were and I have as much oil as you will ever need.  Closing the tubes and pressurizing the rockers is another method.   I have built engines in the past using this method as well.

Choosing a machine shop these days is tricky.  Most of the younger guys have never seen a Y-Block.  Find an old guy that learned from personal experience.  Check everything twice.  Most of these engines need to be align honed and decked.  After all those years the blocks are warped and the caps are sloppy.

You will receive a lot more information on this forum.  It's a great resource.  Buy the book and you will have a great start.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
for a street engine i wouldnt bother.it is important to cut the groove deeper in the cam.i go to about.030 
MattsY
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)Supercharged (238 reputation)

Awesome info, thanks guys! This is definitely just a street cruiser, so maybe I'll forego the mods with the exception of the cam groove. As far as the machine shop choice, I'm using Lawrence Racing Engines out of Westhampton Beach N.Y. He came recommended by a local y-block guy. When I spoke to him, he, right off the top of his head, knew bores, strokes, main sizes etc, so hopefully that's a good sign!
MattsY
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Oh, and I will definitely check out that book. I have the y-block book by Charles Morris already.
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

The copy I have is old and dogeared.  I'm pretty sure I have had my book since the 70s. There is a newer version available on Amazon. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

kevink1955
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Just do not use the Eckman book to install the timing chain, it's wrong unless later edtions have been corrected.  Use the ford shop manual
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
talking about mistakes check out page 110 top left of charles morris book
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

When I installed my rear seal, I used Ted's method and I have no leaks.  The package that the seal came in was wrong.  

Reading This Topic

Site Meter