Profile Picture

oil gallery and also main bolts

Posted By blocky 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
hi i am looking for a bit of info ,first up 272 y block front main bolts.i have removed the sump on some untouched engines and found the front main cap bolts are different to the others and do not have spring washers. is this normal or have i got some strange engines? secondly on one of the y block sites the guy mentions drilling a small hole under the cam area for oil to go to the timing chain , does this reduce oil pressure to the front main???
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 16 hours ago
on early engines the front bolts used washers.you cant use them on the rear as the rear seal holder will not clear.i wouldnt drill the hole myself but the hole is small and doesnt hurt oil pressure.
blocky
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)

thanks for the clues  cheers
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
As I understand it, oil to the timing chain and the distributor gear is supplied from the overflow tubes from the rocker arm shafts. There’s been many discussions about pressurizing the shafts, restricting the tubes without blocking etc. Drilling into an oil passage is a new one for me, it’ll be interesting to see how Ted, John, and the other well known builders respond.

Modification to the center cam bearing, or bore, or groove in the camshaft to feed oil to the rockers is another highly discussed topic.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 52 minutes ago
The drilling is simply drilling a hole from the lifter valley out the front of the block. It allows a little of the oil collected in the valley area to drip down onto the timing chain. It's one of those "cant hurt" things. A lot depends on how you intend to use the car. For stock, everyday driving it probably isn't needed.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 19 minutes ago
Early engines were drilled and had a trough to direct the oil to the chain.  I can try to hunt a picture down later.  Someone else may have one handy.

Lawrenceville, GA
blocky
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

i got that info from the y block guy i think his name is McMaster
blocky
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

i think the hole is drilled into the feed from number one main to front cam bearing and must squirt a small amount out??
stuey
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)Supercharged (832 reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
http://yblockguy.com/techtips/oiling_mods.html 

stuey
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
And here’s a post that Tim made to this forum showing the timing chain oiling modification.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost24720.aspx

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter