Profile Picture

1957 Skyliner pinion seal

Posted By cokefirst 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Problem Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
I have a pinion seal leak on my skyliner.  I replace the seal and it leaked as bad as the first one.  I pulled the yoke and seal again and found a very slight groove caused by seal wear.  I put a sleeve on the yoke, bought the Timken seal, uses a light grease on the seal and installed it and the yoke again.  It still leaks.  Any suggestions?
57RancheroJim
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I've had a few that didn't seal right away but after a few heat cycles they stopped leaking. Have you driven it much since installing it. Is this the large seal that was 57 only?
ian57tbird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
I believe oil can leak under the Speedy sleeves. In the past I put a sealant on the shaft before I slide the sleeve on. Did you check that the seal felt like the fit was correct on the shaft/sleeve?
Hoosier Hurricane
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)Supercharged (4.9K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Are you sure it's the pinion seal leaking and not the O ring on the pinion housing that bolts to the front of the 3rd member case?

John - "The Hoosier Hurricane"
http://www.y-blocksforever.com/avatars/johnf.jpg
cokefirst
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)Supercharged (292 reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
yes, I did drive it.  there was no leak on the rack when i finished but after a drive it was wet again and fresh gear oil in a pattern above the seal.  I did use the big seal that is 57.  The seal seemed to make a good fit on the sleeve.  There isn't much room between the sleeve and the yoke, but I will check that.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter