Profile Picture

question on my Carb change

Posted By Melly 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I changed from 2 v to 4v on my 292 pretty much stock Ford.  57 intake, 57Dist, and Holley 570 cfm Street Avg. carb.  Having some Issuses with the electric  choke staying on for long time, but other then some adjusting of Axel Pump spring ( hope I got it right )  seem to run good.  Went to put Vac. gage on the PCV port noticed there was raw gas in rubber cap when remove.  Has anyone seen anything like this?  Does not seem to be right to me but not a carb guy help here?  Seem like if I was to have a PCV system it would load the crank case with raw fuel..Is there something I could look at or adjust . Carb was use off a running car.
???
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
The Choke can be adjusted by rotating the Black Cap. Decreasing the Spring Tension would make the Choke come off sooner..Is there Power going to the Choke? Raw Fuel could be the Float level or simply too much Fuel Pump Pressure forcing Gas past the Needle &Seat. A Fuel Pressure Regulator may be Required. Holley Carbs work best with  approx 6 PSI.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Accelerator pump lever adjustment is pretty easy.  You want there to be no play at idle so that the pump works the instant the throttle position is changed and to be able to fit a .010" feeler gauge between the lever and screw at wide open  to ensure that it is not bottoming out.  There is a wide range of correct adjustment because of the way it is designed.

The pcv port is 3/8. Usually the smaller 3/16" port right next to it is used for vacuum readings.  Fuel probably isn't coming out of that port.  The fuel inlet, bowl screws, bowl and metering block gasket and accelerator pump are places where fuel may leak and if the fuel runs down the carb the right way, it may appear as though it's coming from the vacuum ports.  

Lawrenceville, GA
Melly
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)

Choke cap adjustment seems to be goofie. Right now it is set all the way back (cc) but seem not to open all way after 5-10 min. Voltage is correct maybe the cap is bad. Floats appear to be adjusted so with inspection port open does not runing out and if you shake car it comes out. Could adjust them lower to see what happen. Has electric fuel pump that was used to prime system. Noticed that before you turn on and was primed the pump would stop pumping. On this setup if you leave pump on it seem to keep pumping. So maybe float are wrong or problem with needle and seat. Will check tomorrow the pump pressure on both the factory pump which is new and primer electric pump. Thanks for giving me some direction.
Melly
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I took vacum read off pvc port. So will redo tomorrow. But does not appear to be fuel around the pvc cap, but if you pull rubber cap off the port the gas is in rubber cap. Maybe if the float are not correct would case it? Tomorrow will be a day of rechecking.
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The float level sounds correct so it should not be your problem.

Lawrenceville, GA
Melly
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

New day.  Checked fuel pressure, got about 4 psi of factory pump and about the same with electric pump.  So over pressure should not be Issuse. Choke still does not come off all way after 10 plus min. and can not turn cap any more to adjust. Might just change over to manual coke.
Now as to raw fuel inside both rubber caps on front vacum ports.  There is no indication of fuel on outside of carb or on manifold. When I removed to rubber cap to place the vacum gage line on I squeezed the rubber cap ( area around cap dry ) a small amount of fuel noticed when squeezed ( no fuel running or dripping out of tube ) .  Again really my first adventure with carbs, always put them on with a little tweaking and most had manual cokes. But the fuel in those rubber caps seem to me not right but I don't have a clue.  And most of my sources around have no clue.  Back in the day when I did this it was like the old TV ad said  SET IT AND FORGET IT.  I got the forget part down but the set it part is over lapped by the forget part.  BUT STILL LOVE THE Y BLOCK!
 HELP PLEASE time is soon to have her on road.
panel driver
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)Supercharged (300 reputation)

Last Active: 58 minutes ago
Just a couple of thoughts on the choke issue. Make sure when you rotate the choke adjustment the choke flap responds to movement. Maybe it got disconnected from the choke flap. Make sure the current to the choke element is battery voltage, maybe its not receiving battery charging voltage when the engine is running.  If the choke element has two wires on it,  the correct one gets grounded.  If it has a single wire, the black housing should be getting ground so the element get hot and unwinds to open position.  Just some ideas. Hope this helps. 

Located in Harford County Maryland 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter