Profile Picture

292 Damper Pulley

Posted By 55charliebird 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
After procrastinating for 6 weeks on taking off the pulley bolt,  I lubed it weekly......well it came out practically by hand.  NOW for the damper pulley.  Special tool from Casco...is that the only option?   Standard 2 jaw pulley remover doesn't seem to work.  ALSO what is this thing called a "sleeve".  Is it behind the damper?  According to shop manual there is a ford tool for that, also.  BTW I don't see where the balance ring has slid back (no rubber showing)  but it is against the front engine mount.  I would love to meet the guys who worked on this engine before me!  Any ideas and thoughts are welcomed.
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I built my own puller with some bar stock I had laying around the shop.  It worked once.  I gave up and bought the Casco puller.  It's the way to go.  Buy the reinstall tool too.  The part numbers are  TL7 and TL10. 

There is no sleeve behind a YBlock TBird Damper.  There is an oil slinger that sits against the lower timing gear.  The pink stuff is assembly lube.  The balance ring should not be touching the engine mount.  Mine is at least 3/4" away.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9a879a83-9d1b-4c56-bc40-6ef1.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 21 minutes ago
to reinstall the pulley i use a longer bolt pull it in until you can use the short one.
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
If the damper ring is rubbing against the mount, it’s either a slipped damper ring or the incorrect mount.  Do you have a picture of the removed damper?  The only sleeve I'm aware of for your application would be a repair sleeve for the damper to compensate for a 'wear' groove in the damper seal surface where the seal rides.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I have both of the tools part numbers are  TL7 and TL10. Bought them as a mistake some years ago. I'd let them go for $75 plus shipping from New Hampshire. Send your address and I will figure the shipping.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)Supercharged (600 reputation)

What keeps the damper pulley (complete assembly) from sliding back towards the seal in the block.  The bolt and washer keep it from sliding toward the radiator, but what keeps it from sliding back?
57RancheroJim
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
It can't slide back, it bottoms out on the oil slinger and timing gear.
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Sounds to me like you have mismatched parts.  Ted is correct.  You either have the wrong engine mount or the wrong damper.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks, I have new damper pulley tools on the way from Casco.
55charliebird
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Isn't the timing case crank seal the first thing the pulley would encounter on its way backward?  The gear is inside the timing case cover so I think the pulley would hit the seal first. I don't have the pulley off yet, I ordered the puller and installer this morning. 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter