Profile Picture

Choke power source

Posted By MplsMike 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 hours ago
Hi all

I’ve got a new carb on my y-block with an electric choke. The instructions are clear that I shouldn’t power this from the coil but doesn’t say why. Just curious, why is that a no-no?

MplsMike
'56 Parklane
Minneapolis, MN
MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
The coil is a easy, close by hookup but the theory is a power draw from the coil and possible early failure. Any source controlled by the ignition switch will work. You want the choke off when the engine is so not constant power.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
I have done 3 of these. Ran a new dedicated Wire from Ignition Switch.I don't think there is another switched Source U can use except Coil and You shouldn't use that to Power the Choke. You also need to ad an Inline Fuse for Choke. 15A is Sufficient.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
MplsMike: By chance do you have a ford alternator conversion on your car? If you do, the stator is what was used to supply current to the choke heater. If the alternator isn't turning, no power.  As stated above, don't use the coil (+) terminal as that would overload the resistor, pulling down the coil voltage, if yours is still in use. Hope this helps, JEFF............................

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
MplsMike
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)Supercharged (509 reputation)

Hi Jeff

I’ve swapped out the old generator for a one wire Powermaster alternator. Is there a way to power from the alternator, or should I be running the wire from the ignition?

MplsMike
'56 Parklane
Minneapolis, MN
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Unfortunately I have not opened up a Powermaster alternator. Someone familiar with this alternator may be able to help. Do the instructions offer anything? Try calling the manufacturer and ask if there's a way to bring out the stator for the choke heater but this may void any warranty.  Otherwise, the ignition switch will work.

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 9 hours ago
MplsMike (4/1/2019)
I’ve got a new carb on my y-block with an electric choke. The instructions are clear that I shouldn’t power this from the coil but doesn’t say why. Just curious, why is that a no-no?

Anytime you tap into an existing power source to power something else, you’ll experience a voltage drop.  It’s in effect like putting a resistor in the line.  In the case of powering an electric choke from the positive side of the coil, the voltage going to the coil is reduced significantly.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

MplsMike
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for all of the replies. One more question, is there any problem with operating the engine (temporarily) without power to the carb, other than having to manage the engine through warm up?

MplsMike
'56 Parklane
Minneapolis, MN
57RancheroJim
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
The problem is the choke will remain ON. Running for a few minutes will be find but don't try to do a road trip any further then around the block. The electrical connection allow the choke to turn off not on.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
You can disable the Choke by loosening the 3 Screws on the black Cap and turn it to relieve Spring Tension. Makes it hard to start though.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter