Choke power source

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic145071.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By MplsMike - 5 Years Ago
Hi all

I’ve got a new carb on my y-block with an electric choke. The instructions are clear that I shouldn’t power this from the coil but doesn’t say why. Just curious, why is that a no-no?
By MoonShadow - 5 Years Ago
The coil is a easy, close by hookup but the theory is a power draw from the coil and possible early failure. Any source controlled by the ignition switch will work. You want the choke off when the engine is so not constant power.

By oldcarmark - 5 Years Ago
I have done 3 of these. Ran a new dedicated Wire from Ignition Switch.I don't think there is another switched Source U can use except Coil and You shouldn't use that to Power the Choke. You also need to ad an Inline Fuse for Choke. 15A is Sufficient.
By FORD DEARBORN - 5 Years Ago
MplsMike: By chance do you have a ford alternator conversion on your car? If you do, the stator is what was used to supply current to the choke heater. If the alternator isn't turning, no power.  As stated above, don't use the coil (+) terminal as that would overload the resistor, pulling down the coil voltage, if yours is still in use. Hope this helps, JEFF............................
Hi Jeff

I’ve swapped out the old generator for a one wire Powermaster alternator. Is there a way to power from the alternator, or should I be running the wire from the ignition?
Unfortunately I have not opened up a Powermaster alternator. Someone familiar with this alternator may be able to help. Do the instructions offer anything? Try calling the manufacturer and ask if there's a way to bring out the stator for the choke heater but this may void any warranty.  Otherwise, the ignition switch will work.
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
MplsMike (4/1/2019)
I’ve got a new carb on my y-block with an electric choke. The instructions are clear that I shouldn’t power this from the coil but doesn’t say why. Just curious, why is that a no-no?

Anytime you tap into an existing power source to power something else, you’ll experience a voltage drop.  It’s in effect like putting a resistor in the line.  In the case of powering an electric choke from the positive side of the coil, the voltage going to the coil is reduced significantly.
Thanks for all of the replies. One more question, is there any problem with operating the engine (temporarily) without power to the carb, other than having to manage the engine through warm up?
By 57RancheroJim - 5 Years Ago
The problem is the choke will remain ON. Running for a few minutes will be find but don't try to do a road trip any further then around the block. The electrical connection allow the choke to turn off not on.
You can disable the Choke by loosening the 3 Screws on the black Cap and turn it to relieve Spring Tension. Makes it hard to start though.
By Sandbird - 5 Years Ago
Airtex makes a switch that works off oil pressure so that an electric fuel pump will run only if the engine is running. It could be used to power an electric choke after the engine starts.
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
Isn't the point of a choke to make it easier to start in certain conditions?  Requiring the engine to be running in order for the choke to operate doesn't seem like a solution.
By 57RancheroJim - 5 Years Ago
The choke on a Holley sets as soon as you touch the throttle, it's spring loaded. It needs the electrical to turn it off, it heats the bi-metal spring.
By Sandbird - 5 Years Ago

The choke needs heat from the electric current to make it open after the engine starts. The same reasoning as a connection to  the alternator stator terminal that supplies current when the engine starts. 

For about $1.00 or less depending on if You already have Wire and a couple of Terminals You can run a Wire from Ignition Switch to Choke. Not sure why everyone seems to be looking for a Complex Solution when this is very Simple, Reliable,  and Cheap. Almost forgot. You need to spend a Couple of $ for an inline Fuse. Just my Opinion for what it's Worth.
Thanks everyone for your replies. I haven’t tackled this yet but plan on running a wire from the ignition.

I just read a recent post from Melly regarding his carb problems. I didn’t want to hijack his post so will ask the question here. He mentions he may convert to manual choke - is that something that can be done on a carb with electric choke? Just curious. If I knew then what I know now, I may have bought a carb with a manual choke...
I think Holley sells a Conversion kit but I can tell You from Experience the Electric Choke works fine. One of the complaints I have heard is that the Choke comes off too quickly. In warm Weather U don't need the Choke on for long. Go Electric and see what U think. I have had 2 Cars with the Electric and my Friend has same. No complaints.
I think the confusion here is that the original question was: Why is powering the choke heater from the coil (+) terminal a no-no?  I think we all agree attaching the choke heater to the coil terminal will cause a voltage drop and an additional load on the resistor if it is still being used. Attaching the heater up-stream of the coil at the ignition switch would work. If you prefer to not add any load to the coil terminal of the ignition switch then use the accessory terminal.  The heater will be energized whenever the switch is on but this usually isn't a problem as stated in above posts.  Just my penny's worth, JEFF..................
By 2721955meteor - 5 Years Ago
the reason for not using the coil hot wire is there is a resistor and voltage to the coil is 8 or 9  volts  so auto choke will not come of as it should,you could go to the hot side of the resistor to choke ,or to the ignition. i go to the hot side of the resistor easy . chock works great,lots of adjustment,