Profile Picture

My Oil Pump Leaks

Posted By Florida_Phil 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
When I rebuilt my 292 engine last summer, I installed a new oil pump from Precision Oil Pumps. This oil pump was supposed to be blueprinted.  My engine has always had a small oil leak.  Recently it has gotten a lot worse.  I thought for a long time it was the rear seal.  I jacked up the car today and the bolts that hold the plate on the bottom of the oil pump were safety wired.  Two of them were loose.  I tightened all four bolts on the pump and it still leaks about a drop a minute.  Should I remove the plate and use sealer or buy a new pump?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Weeks Ago
There's supposed to be a Gasket between Cover and Body. I wouldn't use Sealer if it was Me. The Cover may not be Flat which You can check by running it over Sandpaper on a Flat Surface in a Figure 8. See there are any low Spots.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
darrell
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
there are 2 pumps the castiron one takes a gasket while the alum,one takes a rubber seal.dont use sealant in case it gets sucked into the pump.
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Right now it's about a drop a minute with the engine running.  Not too bad for a YBlock.   I'm relieved to find the rear seal isn't the problem.  If it gets any worse, I'll probably replace the pump.  Thanks!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
Make sure it's not trickling down form a higher place, like the valve cover.

If there is a problem with the pump, I'd expect precision oil pumps to handle it.  A premium, brand new, blue printed and safety wired pump should not leak or have loose bolts.

Lawrenceville, GA
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Contact Precision and tell them what you found.  See what they say about repairing/replacing it.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Finding any oil pump cover bolts loose and especially if they had been safety wired suggests a problem during the original pump assembly.  Being on the engine awhile may complicate a warranty return but regardless, the vendor should be informed and there’s a chance they will want to see the pump and make it good.  If you’ve broken the safety wire to tighten the bolts, you’ll have to let them know this as that too could complicate a warranty return.

As already mentioned and assuming your oil pump is a spur gear design, it will have a thin gasket between the pump body and the cover.  Once that gasket failed, it’s unlikely that simply tightening the cover plate will stop the leak until the gasket itself is replaced.  If the pump cover has been over-tightened, then the possibility exists that the oil pump body may be distorted at the threaded holes at the gasket surface.  The gasket is thin and it wouldn’t take much distortion to create an oil leak.  If that’s the case, then disassembly of the pump and running a knife sharpening stone over both the body gasket surface and the cover may help in removing any irregularities that exist.  A flat surface with wet/dry sandpaper can also accomplish the same thing.  Be sure the rotors turn freely after retightening the cover to the pump body.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

55 GLASS TOP
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

What is a blue printed oil pump?, thanks for any reply
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Weeks Ago
Go to their Website. Interesting Reading. I would hope Phil's Pump is a One off poor Assembly and not an Example of their normal Product. .

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
55 GLASS TOP (3/25/2019)
What is a blue printed oil pump?, thanks for any reply

Here’s the information for the ‘blueprinted’ pumps from the Precision Oil Pumps site.

Product Description
Blueprinted Melling Ford 292-312 Oil Pump. Fits all 292-312 Ford Engines.
MELLING BLUEPRINTED OIL PUMP. The pump is a brand new Melling M-42 Pump Blueprinted by PRECISION OIL PUMPS. Fits all Ford 292 -312 engines. Each pump is disassembled in groups of ten, casting flash is removed from all passages, passages are radiused and blended by hand. The Housings & Gears are then Deburred by a vibratory polisher then cleaned. The Gears are then sprayed with TECH-LINE moly-coating and oven curred. Three Critical Clearances are checked on reassembly;(1) Gear to Housing, (2) Mesh or Backlash, (3) Gear to Cover-Plate. With Ten gear sets to choose from , One pair with correct clearances will be installed. The relief- valve is De-burred with emmory cloth ,cleaned and is re-installed with the existing spring and new hardware. Each cover plate is also Vibratory Polished, cleaned and fastened with safety-wired aircraft bolts. All pumps are bench tested. Buy with confidence.

http://stores.precisionoilpumps.com/blueprinted-melling-ford-292-312-oil-pump/

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter