Profile Picture

My Oil Pump Leaks

Posted By Florida_Phil 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I emailed them through their website and explained the problem.  So far no response.  I assumed a "blue printed" oil pump was superior to one out of the box.  Perhaps not?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
It definitely should be.  It may just be their one in a thousand that is not.  We'll see how they handle it.

Lawrenceville, GA
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I called Precision Oil Pumps today and they are sending me a new oil pump bottom plate gasket.  I was told not to over tightened the bolts as this distorts the plate. He told me not to use silicone sealer.  I have some old school Permatex that should do the job.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

57RancheroJim
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I wouldn't use any type of gasket sealer.. It could migrate into the pump and possibly the relief valve. But thats just me.
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
charliemccraney (3/26/2019)
It definitely should be.  It may just be their one in a thousand that is not.  We'll see how they handle it.

Before You put it together I would check both the Cover and the Housing with a Straight Edge and make sure they are both Flat and Straight..

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Noted.  Thanks.  Right now the leak is very small.  When the new gasket comes I'll take a closer look.

paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Ditto 

57RancheroJim (3/26/2019)
I wouldn't use any type of gasket sealer.. It could migrate into the pump and possibly the relief valve. But thats just me.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
oil leak  at oil pump. i have chased this rear seal ,valley cover oil pump leak situation,especially my 292 in 49 mere truck.
i now am surer that the issue is the rear of the oil pan. with a drip oil leak out of rear of pan is blown onto the oil pump,makeing 1 think it is the issue.after laying a oil pan on a bare block with rear seal holder in place  it becomes obvious that henry screwed up big time on such a easy improvement could have eliminated  the ability to mark her spot. the rear seal bracket hangs out from the gasket aria to a point the pan gasket is only hang on by a small margin.. the seal retaining bolts are visible. i am in the process of extending the pan contact at rear,also making plastic covers to go over the bolt heads the gasket has a decent contact,as well as a plate that goes over the bolt holes and presses more support to that aria of the pan to block. actually the studs and nuts attached to seal bracket at not much good as they squeeze the gasket  at a era that has poor contact.  i have suspected valley cover leaks oil pump leaks, rear seal in my case it is the oil panther leaks at the rear,more so with truck and third rear sump pans
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Y Blocks are prone to leaks.  They leaked oil 60 years ago and they leak oil today. I'm convinced you could coat one of these engines in epoxy and it would still leak. That said, my bottom oil pump plate bolts were loose. My rear seal is OK for now, but I'm not getting cocky.  If you want a car that doesn't leak oil, buy a Tesla.  Rolleyes

Cliff
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I don't have any problems with oil leaks, I've built these engines for over 40 years, the real seal is the same setup as an FE Ford or Chrysler, it just comes down to good building practices, the real seal I use is a felpro for the little engines and the chrysler seal for the 312 (felpro), I never use felpro head gaskets (water stains down the sides of the block).

Reading This Topic

Site Meter