Profile Picture

Triple Deuce 1955 Thunderbird

Posted By Florida_Phil 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I heard from Charlie at Vintage Speed.  He's been inundated with work lately and wasn't been able to get back to me.  We discussed the three Holley 94s I sent him.  I bought these on EBay along with an Edelbrock 573 intake manifold a few months ago. He asked a lot of questions about my car and what I was expecting.  He recommended rebuilding my Holley 94s and having them set up properly for a tri-carb setup with good linkage.  We arrived at a price and I pulled the trigger.  He called me Friday and said my carbs look like new and they are being shipped on Monday.

I am planning to post my progress on this forum.  My current motor runs great with a single Holley 4V.   I don't expect the tri power to increase the performance.  I want to see if it's possible to run this setup on my TBird without sacrificing drive ability. 

As soon as I receive my carbs from Charlie, I will post photos of my progress.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Multiple carbs should not change a thing as you will still be driving 99% of the time on a 2 barrel carb just like the front of your 4 barrel.
My experience so far has been opening it up every once in a while to get gas flow thru the needles and seat of the not used carbs. Engine vibration will allow some seepage thru those needles and seats. For me there 3 extra with dual quads but it's the same.

Are going to idle on all 3 or just the center one? If the center only, take the time to set the idle adjustment screw on the outside ones to allow the butterflies to just touch and not sit tight so they stick..Good Luck and please show us some photos.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Charlie recommends setting up the end carbs as dumpers. He leaves the end carb idle screws in place so you can unscrew them a bit if your cam needs it.  We'll see how this goes. I'll post some photos and hopefully some videos. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I received my EBay Holley 94s back from Charlie at Vintage Speed today.  They look like new.  They were powder coated and rebuilt with new bases, shafts and screws. The chokes were removed and the holes blocked in the end carbs.   I also ordered his linkage, fuel lines, pressure gauge and fuel pressure regulator.  I assembled the parts on my bench.  Here's a pic.  A few more parts required and I can bolt them on.  I expect this to take some time to sort out.  We'll see.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/15c89955-6a20-4ae0-b360-0ccc.jpg

paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
If you have any idling problems, pull the end carbs, add block off plates and dial in the carb by itself.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I agree with Paul and DLR. But based on my experience with Mr Price (almost 20 years ago) if it doesn’t run pretty close, check everything else before you question his work. He was really spot on then, and I doubt he’s forgotten much.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Charlie has been very helpful.  He's not the kind of guy that talks your head off just to pass the time.  He is very knowledgeable.  He told me they test all their carbs on a running motor.  I have to route the fuel pump line and the regulator.  I love his linkage.  Very robust and infinitely adjustable. 

DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

If you decide your going to use all three to idle buy a Uni-Syn carb synchronizer from Summit or similar supplier. They are for 2 barrels and I've made adapters for my small top 4 barrels/Holley style 2 & 4 barrels  and would not be without it. A friend has 2-2's Strombergs on his flathead and does the same thing. A perfect idle just makes you a happy guy.

I also agree with blocking off the ends as a start up to get it "happy" first  if your not going to use the outers to idle. Good Luck

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Good tip.  How does a Uni-Syn carb synchronizer work?  Thanks!

DryLakesRacer
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

By vacuum. The photo has mine bolted and gasket end to adapter on a large 4 barrel cover and then sealed to a small base 4 barrel. The engine is not running, but when it does the "red" ball in the tube rises. You set your carbs so they all read the same at idle using idle speed and your mixture screws.
This for idle. Acceleration and top end is another can of worms... I believe they are all thru Edelbrock today.. Good luck.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter