Profile Picture

Difference between a Std. 3 spd. steering column and AT column on 1955 Ford ?

Posted By Melly 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Difference between a Std. 3 spd. steering column and AT column on 1955...

Author
Question Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)Supercharged (582 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I am looking to do a tranny upgrade from a stock 3 spd. to a adaptor for a C4 or AOD.  First which does the best job? The Ford it a weekend warrior.   One off my biggest concerns is would like to keep a factory looking  column shift. But have found little info on what a AT column consist of.  Can a 3 spd column be converted any way or does it have to be replaced with a AT column all together?  If anyone has done this if you have info and maybe photos that would be great.  Would like to keep the 3 spd but have issuse with knee that id causing problems.  Old age!!
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
The most important difference between the two transmissions you are considering is overdrive.  I don't know how they compare for price.  For a daily driver that will see a fair amount of highway use, overdrive would be good.  But for a weekend warrior, maybe not.  If price is similar, I'd get overdrive.

Lawrenceville, GA
blocky
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)Supercharged (307 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
hi i will give you a bit of useless information from my own experience in doing just that. first up i am in oz but really this may apply to you as well.when i changed from manual trans to auto  column i over looked the position of the indicator arm!suddenly it was facing the wrong way.180 degrees out.this may not or it may apply to you because we had a real mix of columns over here.like i say this may not apply to you???
paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Another item to keep in mind is what the trans you are going to use came out of.  If you are going to use a column shift get a trans out of a column shift car, a floor shift then get a trans out of a floor shift car.  This may not be relevant with an AOD, but floor shift trans' usually has the trans shifter pointing up while the column shift ones have the trans shifter in the down position.  I found this out when I did a C4 conversion in my 56 Bird.  Fortunately, he trans I got had a shifter that had up and down connections.  With a sedan the position of the trans shifter may be different (opposite).

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

carl
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Melly (3/8/2019)
I am looking to do a tranny upgrade from a stock 3 spd. to a adaptor for a C4 or AOD.  First which does the best job? The Ford it a weekend warrior.   One off my biggest concerns is would like to keep a factory looking  column shift. But have found little info on what a AT column consist of.  Can a 3 spd column be converted any way or does it have to be replaced with a AT column all together?  If anyone has done this if you have info and maybe photos that would be great.  Would like to keep the 3 spd but have issuse with knee that id causing problems.  Old age!!
If you need a complete AT steering column I can probably dig one up for you  Carl 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter