Profile Picture

muffler discussion

Posted By harleyjohn45 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have a 292 and installed Brockman mellow tones, they were too loud, I put the old Smitties back on, but the have pinholes and also are a little too loud.  However they are quieter than the Brockmans, but they still tend to rap.  I want mufflers with a throaty exhaust note, I just don't want the rapping.  I am considering an Amazon Total Flow 31245.  It is a turbo muffler.  Has anyone used a product like this.
harleyjohn45
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)Supercharged (108 reputation)

I'm not actually tied to any brand of muffler.
charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 9 minutes ago
Too loud is subjective.  I had some glass packs Flowtech Purple Hornies, that would cause my ears to ring after a short time on the highway.  I changed to Hooker Aero Chamber.  Still noisy, but doesn't make my ears ring and conversation is possible without just about yelling. Idle tone was about the same.  That's on a 300ish hp engine.

I used the same glasspacks on a lower powered motor, with smaller exhaust pipe diameter and they were fine on that.

Lawrenceville, GA
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I like Magaflows. Perfect muscle care sound without the harshness or din.  Of course I'm half deaf anyway.  Tongue

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Ted
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
 I have the Smithys glass packs on my ’55 with a 272 and they have a nice mellow sound.  These mufflers are only a bit over four years old now.  As they get older and the internal packing deteriorates, I’m sure that they will get noisier but right now the exhaust sound is just mellow without any harsh popping or being raspy.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

MoonShadow
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I have a set of the old red glasspacks that I put on in 1987. They've been through several engine combinations and have only had the other pipes replaced once in all these years. Talk about sound! Nice thumping idle and slightly more than a mellow sound. The also rap perfectly when you get on it. They have certainly worn in well.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Sound, as was said, is really subjective. I’ve got a pair of hushmasters on the bird, and they were so “ rappy” at full throttle I had to put a set of resonators behind them. I’ve got an OT car with Flowmasters that are pretty good. My buddie has Smithy’s on an OT 56, full size car, and they really sound the best of all to me.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Back in the day, we always put on the cheapest glass packs we could find.  We would run straight pipes if the law would leave us alone.  To pass inspection, we had our girl friends drive the car through the line.  They always passed. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

harleyjohn45
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I know the feeling too many years on heavy equipment, airboats, motorcycles, and shooting firearms. In my day, no one wore hearing protection.
harleyjohn45
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I wanted to get the longest set of Smittys, 30 inch long I believe.  The muffler guy said he couldn't weld them in.  I may just buy the
longest Smitty I can get  and find a different muffler shop.  The Thrush turbo 17715 sounds like a good compromise and they are rated fairly high.
I talked to Mr. Brockman of muffler fame and he said Y Blocks are loud motors.  I bought his mufflers and removed them 15 minutes later.  The were beyond loud.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter