muffler discussion

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic144371.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By harleyjohn45 - 5 Years Ago
I have a 292 and installed Brockman mellow tones, they were too loud, I put the old Smitties back on, but the have pinholes and also are a little too loud.  However they are quieter than the Brockmans, but they still tend to rap.  I want mufflers with a throaty exhaust note, I just don't want the rapping.  I am considering an Amazon Total Flow 31245.  It is a turbo muffler.  Has anyone used a product like this.
I'm not actually tied to any brand of muffler.
By charliemccraney - 5 Years Ago
Too loud is subjective.  I had some glass packs Flowtech Purple Hornies, that would cause my ears to ring after a short time on the highway.  I changed to Hooker Aero Chamber.  Still noisy, but doesn't make my ears ring and conversation is possible without just about yelling. Idle tone was about the same.  That's on a 300ish hp engine.

I used the same glasspacks on a lower powered motor, with smaller exhaust pipe diameter and they were fine on that.
By Florida_Phil - 5 Years Ago
I like Magaflows. Perfect muscle care sound without the harshness or din.  Of course I'm half deaf anyway.  Tongue
By Ted - 5 Years Ago
 I have the Smithys glass packs on my ’55 with a 272 and they have a nice mellow sound.  These mufflers are only a bit over four years old now.  As they get older and the internal packing deteriorates, I’m sure that they will get noisier but right now the exhaust sound is just mellow without any harsh popping or being raspy.
By MoonShadow - 5 Years Ago
I have a set of the old red glasspacks that I put on in 1987. They've been through several engine combinations and have only had the other pipes replaced once in all these years. Talk about sound! Nice thumping idle and slightly more than a mellow sound. The also rap perfectly when you get on it. They have certainly worn in well.
By miker - 5 Years Ago
Sound, as was said, is really subjective. I’ve got a pair of hushmasters on the bird, and they were so “ rappy” at full throttle I had to put a set of resonators behind them. I’ve got an OT car with Flowmasters that are pretty good. My buddie has Smithy’s on an OT 56, full size car, and they really sound the best of all to me.
By Florida_Phil - 5 Years Ago
Back in the day, we always put on the cheapest glass packs we could find.  We would run straight pipes if the law would leave us alone.  To pass inspection, we had our girl friends drive the car through the line.  They always passed. 
I know the feeling too many years on heavy equipment, airboats, motorcycles, and shooting firearms. In my day, no one wore hearing protection.
I wanted to get the longest set of Smittys, 30 inch long I believe.  The muffler guy said he couldn't weld them in.  I may just buy the
longest Smitty I can get  and find a different muffler shop.  The Thrush turbo 17715 sounds like a good compromise and they are rated fairly high.
I talked to Mr. Brockman of muffler fame and he said Y Blocks are loud motors.  I bought his mufflers and removed them 15 minutes later.  The were beyond loud.
Thanks everyone for your reply's.
By 62bigwindow - 5 Years Ago
Smithy's get my vote. I have a set on my car and they sound great. Nice thump at idle and not too loud on the highway. And this is on a 300ish hp y block with a fat cam.
Do you have 30 inch Smitty's or the shorter mufflers. 
harleyjohn45 (3/2/2019)
I wanted to get the longest set of Smittys, 30 inch long I believe.  The muffler guy said he couldn't weld them in.  I may just buy the
longest Smitty I can get  and find a different muffler shop.  The Thrush turbo 17715 sounds like a good compromise and they are rated fairly high.
I talked to Mr. Brockman of muffler fame and he said Y Blocks are loud motors.  I bought his mufflers and removed them 15 minutes later.  The were beyond loud.

I looked under the car a while ago, it has the 30 inch Smitty's.  That is what I will buy.  Mine have pinholes in them.

Well I installed the 30" smithy's and when I started the car, it was extremely loud.  It had a rapping sound that would wake the dead.  I drove the car a few miles and the car quietened down and sounded wonderful.  Now every time I first start the car, it's extremely loud and then quietens down.  Could it have something to do with fuel delivery during warm up. When the car gets up to operating temperature, it sounds great.  
The old Smithy's did not do this.  
By 62bigwindow - 5 Years Ago
That does seem odd. I have the 24" on my car and they are not any louder at start up than at operating temperature.
It's all new to me, never had a car do that before.  I have moved from Florida to New Mexico.  The elevation in Florida was 26' above sea level, here in New Mexico my elevation is 7300' above sea level.  The car is not running good right now.  I suspect a fuel filter and perhaps a carburetor adjustment.  The car kept dying at stoplights.